POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Help on dispersion value : Re: Help on dispersion value Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:58:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help on dispersion value
From: stbenge
Date: 13 Apr 2008 17:00:01
Message: <48027451@news.povray.org>
Opal wrote:
> BTW: Is birefringence (and trirefringence) planned in future versions of
> POV-Ray? And isn't there any trick to achieve similar effect to birefringence?

Like Alain said, you can average two textures together. Each texture
would have a slightly different surface normal, but this is a hack and
will not be very accurate (to the eye, maybe...)

If you didn't know about this already, I'll tell you now of a useful
include file containing different ior, dispersion and birefringence
values for many different minerals:

http://www.seasoft.tecbox.com/Pov/NewIOR.html

The dispersion values are based on MegaPOV's implementation of said
effect, but they should also work with the official versions.

I hope this helps!

Sam