POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Need two things.. (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Need two things..
Date: 21 Feb 2008 22:41:28
Message: <MPG.2227f21c1717ddac98a103@news.povray.org>
In article <web.47bdcc0fef771f4c5116a38d0@news.povray.org>,
peter@**nospam**hertel.no says...
> > to render every time to see what the changes you make are going to look
> > like is a serious pain
> > I have something I want to
> > do and need a simple, clear, and easily tweakable method to match
> > existing textures, without having to use something that generates a
> > tillable image, instead of a native texture. Nothing "recent" seems to
> > do this.
>
> > you can tweak settings and see what will happen *before* having to
> > render some complex scene to see the result.
>
> > Sure, if you are used to doing it the hard way, and you have a clear
> > idea what effects you will get, it works OK to throw 3-4 things
> > together, render, then tweak. Its useless if you only have the vaguest
> > clue what you are trying for
>
> To avoid rendering a complex scene just to test a texture, what about mak
ing a
> simple texture test scene in POV-Ray SDL? The incdemo files bundled with
> POV-Ray illustrates this in a much better way, even with animation.
>
> But perhaps this small example is something you could use? It allows for
testing
> of to different variables at the same time. Render the scene, pick the va
lues
> you like and insert them in the code. Then continue with two other variab
les.
> This should help you to narrow down the effect you like in a rather short
 time.
> As your experience increases you will need fewer and fewer tries to get w
hat you
> want ;)
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Peter
>
> // +h1000 +w1000 +a0.3
>
> camera{
>         orthographic
>         location z*-10 look_at 0 angle 60
>         right x up y
> }
>
> light_source{<5,5,-20>,1}
>
> #local Space = 0.1;
>
> #local X = 0;
> #while (X <= 1)
>         #local Y = 0;
>         #while (Y <= 1)
>                 #local Location = <-5+X*10,-5+Y*10,0>;
>
>                 sphere{0,Space*4
>                         texture{
>                                 pigment {rgb 1}
>                                 finish {phong X}
>                                 normal{granite Y}
>                                 }
>                 translate Location
>                 }
>
>                 text{ttf "arial.ttf"
>                         concat("X: ",str(X,3,1), " Y: ",str(Y,3,1)) 1,0
>                         pigment {rgb y*1}
>                         scale Space translate Location-Space*<3,5,0>
>                 }
>         #local Y = Y+Space;
>         #end
> #local X = X+Space;
> #end

Umm, because that still means I have to hit render? lol

Mind, its not a bad idea and certainly one I hadn't considered. Now,
there are 1-2 on the utility page for POVRay that *do* this, but they do
so in a way that isn't transferable to POVRay code. In other words, they
do so by generating an image, not a texture SDL.

Lets put it this way. Open PSP X or Photoshop, go to something like (in
PSP) Effects->Distortion->Warp, then **see** it actually doing it in the
preview. This is quite different than manually changing lines of code,
or even tweaking a setting as in Moray, TXMag, or others, then having to
hit "run" (or preview, which is fundamentally the same thing). Its also
nicer than your solution even, since once you think you have one thing
right, you can just move on to tweak the other variables. Yours.. You
have to plug in the ones you had right, then run it again, with
different variances. Kind of annoying, even if it is feasible.

Ok, being a bit nit picky maybe, but seriously, this is one of those
things that most frontends for other engines "will" do. That you can't
even find a stand alone utility to do it for POVRay is imho, not a good
thing when you want people to consider using it, instead of one of those
fancy smancy ones that *do*. And, sometimes it just nice to be able to
do that, especially when you don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling,
even if you know how to do it the hard way. ;)

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Feb 2008 00:52:30
Message: <47be631e@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> BTW, how do people get 3.5 and 3.6 on the same system? I have the later,
> and obviously support for Moray in the later is rather seriously
> broken...

Why do you conclude that it is POV-Ray 3.6 that breaks Moray and not the
other way around?

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Date: 22 Feb 2008 01:20:00
Message: <web.47be68d3ef771f4c5116a38d0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
<snip>
> This is quite different than manually changing lines of code,
<snip>
> have to plug in the ones you had right, then run it again, with
> different variances. Kind of annoying, even if it is feasible.
<snip>
> especially when you don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling,
<snip>
Well.. It's hard to explain, but I belive those points are one of the main
reasons why I like POV-Ray so much. A little tweaking here, and a little there,
full control over what happens in your scene (hopefully ;) and you get what you
want in the end.

> having to hit "run"
If you don't like clicking "Run" you can press Alt+G, I find it saves a lot of
time while tweaking ;)

Try out Jpatch - http://www.jpatch.com/ - It has a very nice material editor
with a lot of sliders for pigment and finish which puts out pure, clean POV-Ray
code.

KPovModeler might also be an alternative if you run Linux, -
http://www.kpovmodeler.org/

Or you could use the provided code to do a real time preview in POV-Ray. Sorry,
I couldn't resist. :P
Jokes aside, I trie to quickly put togehter that dice you wanted, but it turned
out to be a bit harder to make it with rounded corners than I thought. It was
easy making it in Wings 3D and uv mapping it though ;)

-Peter

// POV-Ray does REAL TIME TEXTURE PREVIEW!!
// (Requires POV-Ray 3.7 beta)
// Command line options:
// +kla +rtr +w160 +h120 -a

#local SPC = 0.01; // [0.001-1] lower makes more spheres
#local Fancy_Stuff = off; // Turn impractical eye candy on or off
#local Use_Hdr = off; // Requires hdr_env.hdr from megapov present

#local Translate = 4/SPC;

#local Cam = 0;
#while (Cam <=1)
camera{
        location z*-10 look_at 0 angle 25  translate x*Cam*Translate
}
#local Cam = Cam+SPC;
#end

light_source{<Translate/3,Translate*0.1,-Translate*1.5>,1}

#local X = 0;
#while (X <= 1)
        sphere{0,1
                no_shadow
                pigment {rgb <1,0.6,0.5>}
                normal {granite 0.6 scale 5 turbulence X}
                finish {phong 0.2 specular 0.4 reflection 0.2*Fancy_Stuff}
        rotate X*360*Fancy_Stuff
        translate x*X*Translate
        }
        text{ttf "arial.ttf"
                concat("Value: ",str(X,3,3)),0.1,0
                pigment {rgb y*1+<0.3,0,1>*Fancy_Stuff}
                finish {reflection Fancy_Stuff*0.2}
                rotate <sin(X*pi)*50,sin(X*pi)*30,0>*Fancy_Stuff
                scale 0.5 translate <-1.33,-1.5+Fancy_Stuff*0.1,0>
        translate x*X*Translate
        }
#local X = X+SPC;
#end

#if(Fancy_Stuff & Use_Hdr)
sphere {
  0,1
  pigment { image_map { hdr "hdr_env.hdr" once interpolate 2 map_type 1 } }
  finish { ambient 0.8 diffuse 0 }
  scale <-1,1,1>*Translate*2
  hollow
}
#end

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Weyer
Date: 22 Feb 2008 03:00:00
Message: <web.47be7ffcef771f4cfddaa4670@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:

> Second, I need to make something that looks a bit like an 8 sided D&D
> dice. The plan is to texture it using one of the matched textures, add
> some metal bits too it that match others, carve into it some symbols,
> some of them also matched to textures from a game, then have the whole
> thing floating and slowly rotating on the Guild webpage. I really am not
> in the mood to try to code the textures, or the object, manually using a
> mess of CSG chopping

The six vertices are x,y,z,-x,-y,-z, possibly scaled by something.
If you want rounded edges, say with radius R,
then put spheres with radius R at each vertex, a cylinder with radius
R at each edge (or, to save code, a spheresweep
  x y (-x) (-y) x z y (-z) (-y) z (-x) (-z) x )
displace the triangle with vertices a,b,c by (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3) (for
all applicable values of a b and c).
This assumes, that you do not need a solid die, i.e. your textures are
not transparent.

>                       but I have only fiddled now and them with the
> program, so maybe I need to post on like "intermediate" instead (if we
> had such a place). lol

I believe there is povray.general

  Mark Weyer

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:05:36
Message: <MPG.2229028dc84ba69798a104@news.povray.org>
In article <47be631e@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > BTW, how do people get 3.5 and 3.6 on the same system? I have the later
,
> > and obviously support for Moray in the later is rather seriously
> > broken...
>
> Why do you conclude that it is POV-Ray 3.6 that breaks Moray and not the

> other way around?

Just a matter of convention. Its fairly irrelevant which one breaks
which, since it just doesn't work.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:12:54
Message: <MPG.2229049a9aceccf798a105@news.povray.org>
In article <web.47be68d3ef771f4c5116a38d0@news.povray.org>,
peter@**nospam**hertel.no says...
> Try out Jpatch - http://www.jpatch.com/ - It has a very nice material edi
tor
> with a lot of sliders for pigment and finish which puts out pure, clean P
OV-Ray
> code.

Thanks, will take a look. That may have even been what I was thinking
of, though it might have been the **much** earlier cmapper and crender,
which I 'thought' had at one point been combined into something more
useful. By themselves, they are not too useful, since you can preview
modifiers in one of them, but not what it does to complex textures,
while the other lets you create the banding for one, but not *see* what
the actual result will be. Not too helpful. lol

> Or you could use the provided code to do a real time preview in POV-Ray.
Sorry,
> I couldn't resist. :P

> Jokes aside, I trie to quickly put togehter that dice you wanted, but it
turned
> out to be a bit harder to make it with rounded corners than I thought. It
 was
> easy making it in Wings 3D and uv mapping it though ;)
>
> -Peter
Yeah, figured it would be complicated. Nearest idea I could come up with
was using cylinders and the blob primitive, but I am not even sure how
well that would work. It would allow adding minor components in, to make
the surface less perfect, but it might just be easier to build a
cylinder+sphere cage, then glue stuff in between the fill in. :p Or, I
could just place metal plates along the edges, instead of only having
caps on the top and bottom. Not sure yet. The one has the advantage of
looking more like its carved from "real" polished ore, while the other
would be more manufactured looking. Its a hard call.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:27:59
Message: <MPG.22290849f77e235d98a106@news.povray.org>
In article <web.47be7ffcef771f4cfddaa4670@news.povray.org>,
nomail@nomail says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
>
> > Second, I need to make something that looks a bit like an 8 sided D&D
> > dice. The plan is to texture it using one of the matched textures, add
> > some metal bits too it that match others, carve into it some symbols,
> > some of them also matched to textures from a game, then have the whole
> > thing floating and slowly rotating on the Guild webpage. I really am no
> > in the mood to try to code the textures, or the object, manually using
> > mess of CSG chopping
>
> The six vertices are x,y,z,-x,-y,-z, possibly scaled by something.
> If you want rounded edges, say with radius R,
> then put spheres with radius R at each vertex, a cylinder with radius
> R at each edge (or, to save code, a spheresweep
>   x y (-x) (-y) x z y (-z) (-y) z (-x) (-z) x )
> displace the triangle with vertices a,b,c by (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3) (for
> all applicable values of a b and c).
> This assumes, that you do not need a solid die, i.e. your textures are
> not transparent.

Got to be solid, or at least mostly. I need to cave in a set of symbols,
and lettering. Basically... A broken moon on two top faces, with red
between the fragments, three shooting star like objects on the other two
tops, also red. These would us a molten texture with a displacement of
the wave pattern that matches the rotation of the object, so it pulses
as it rotates (though whether faster or slower... I haven't decided).
Guild cloak is green with red symbols (the falling stars), so I need
forest green on it too. That would be lettering, possible along the
edges, and on the bottom, in some EQ2 sort of language (Kerra, assuming
there is such a character set they use. Hard to tell, since I started at
one myself). Those also will have the molten glow effect. The main
surface is a pinkish color, almost flesh tone, while other parts are
various metallics, of the refined versions, or the grey speckle of the
"etched Acrylia" you could pick up in the old EQ1. The whole thing will
be floating over a stand on the floor, and slowly spinning.

Basically, the guild name is Shards of Luclin. Luclin being the moon
that the city of the Vah Shir (Luclin's Kerra) stood on, before the moon
exploded in between EQ1 and EQ2. The textures are all from the material
"Acrylia" that 90% of the armor that you crafted there was based on.

No idea what I will do with the rest of the room yet, but I wish there
was some way to get a better look at ingame textures on items like the
Shade Silk cloaks and stuff, so I could see if they where unique enough
to try to duplicate them for tapestries or something. This 8 sided thing
is just step one. lol

Am I crazy wanting to do this for a web page, or just overly bored?

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Feb 2008 21:45:35
Message: <MPG.222a8811eeb8b01098a107@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.2229049a9aceccf798a105@news.povray.org>,
sel### [at] rraznet says...
> In article <web.47be68d3ef771f4c5116a38d0@news.povray.org>,
> peter@**nospam**hertel.no says...
> > Try out Jpatch - http://www.jpatch.com/ - It has a very nice material e
ditor
> > with a lot of sliders for pigment and finish which puts out pure, clean
 POV-Ray
> > code.
> >
> Thanks, will take a look. That may have even been what I was thinking
> of, though it might have been the **much** earlier cmapper and crender,

> which I 'thought' had at one point been combined into something more
> useful. By themselves, they are not too useful, since you can preview
> modifiers in one of them, but not what it does to complex textures,
> while the other lets you create the banding for one, but not *see* what

> the actual result will be. Not too helpful. lol

Latest version, I think, doesn't seem to allow color maps, effects on
those maps, and some of the basic controls, in the modeler part,
themselves didn't work for me.. Basically, its texture system is what
crender did. Settings for basics, like transparencies, metallic
finishes, phong, etc, but no way to do what I need, which is play with
banding and the like. Guess I am going to have to go with the hard way
at this point. Almost as much of a pain in the ass as finding out that I
need the "raw" unpatched EQ1 Titanium to log into the emulation server
(s), so I can look around for textures and stuff to use in other parts.
I ain't paying Sony more money to log into that again, just to get
screenshots for design ideas... :(

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Mark Weyer
Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:50:00
Message: <web.47c2d45def771f4cfddaa4670@news.povray.org>
> > The six vertices are x,y,z,-x,-y,-z, possibly scaled by something.
> > If you want rounded edges, say with radius R,
> > then put spheres with radius R at each vertex, a cylinder with radius
> > R at each edge (or, to save code, a spheresweep
> >   x y (-x) (-y) x z y (-z) (-y) z (-x) (-z) x )
> > displace the triangle with vertices a,b,c by (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3) (for
> > all applicable values of a b and c).
> > This assumes, that you do not need a solid die, i.e. your textures are
> > not transparent.
>
> Got to be solid, or at least mostly. I need to cave in a set of symbols,
> and lettering.

In that case replace the triangles with something solid.
The easiest would be an eight of an octahedron: For the triangle with
vertices a, b, and c this would be

  intersection {
    plane { -a 0 } plane { -b 0 } plane { -c 0 }
    plane { a+b+c 1/sqrt(3) }
    translate (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3)
  }

Keep in mind, though, that carved dice are not considered fair.

Best,

  Mark Weyer

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Feb 2008 16:31:36
Message: <MPG.222e107debf8713698a10c@news.povray.org>
In article <web.47c2d45def771f4cfddaa4670@news.povray.org>,
nomail@nomail says...

> > > The six vertices are x,y,z,-x,-y,-z, possibly scaled by something.
> > > If you want rounded edges, say with radius R,
> > > then put spheres with radius R at each vertex, a cylinder with radius
> > > R at each edge (or, to save code, a spheresweep
> > >   x y (-x) (-y) x z y (-z) (-y) z (-x) (-z) x )
> > > displace the triangle with vertices a,b,c by (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3) (for
> > > all applicable values of a b and c).
> > > This assumes, that you do not need a solid die, i.e. your textures ar
> > > not transparent.
> >
> > Got to be solid, or at least mostly. I need to cave in a set of symbols
,
> > and lettering.
>
> In that case replace the triangles with something solid.
> The easiest would be an eight of an octahedron: For the triangle with
> vertices a, b, and c this would be
>
>   intersection {
>     plane { -a 0 } plane { -b 0 } plane { -c 0 }
>     plane { a+b+c 1/sqrt(3) }
>     translate (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3)
>   }
>
> Keep in mind, though, that carved dice are not considered fair.
>
> Best,
>
>   Mark Weyer

Decided to use the one in shapes2.inc and just scale it, thought that
means, at some point, lopping edges off and replacing them with
cylinders, etc, to round it. Got a different problem though. The
texture... So far I have this, which I am not real satisfied with:

texture {
  pigment {marble
  turbulence 0.85
  color_map {
    [0.00 0.40 color rgb <0.66275,0.57647,0.58824>
               color rgb <0.65882,0.56078,0.57255>]
    [0.40 0.72 color rgb <0.64275,0.55647,0.56824>
               color rgb <0.63882,0.54078,0.55255>]
    [0.72 0.95 color rgb <0.62275,0.53647,0.54824>
               color rgb <0.61882,0.52078,0.53255>]
    [0.95 1.00 color rgb <0.57775,0.49147,0.50324>
               color rgb <0.57382,0.47578,0.48755>]
  }
}

What I am trying to do is duplicate the colors in this:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/pgfx/item_1138.png

but looking more like:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/pgfx/item_1095.png

Though, in fact, I plan to use "both" color sets for different parts of
the item I am building. And, since this is going to be a *large* object,
I want to make at least one band in it so that, instead of having the
reflective qualities of polished stone, it has granular crystal like
veins, which have a metallic finish. So, what I am looking for is
something like:

texture {
  pigment {marble
  turbulence 0.85
  color_map {
    [0.00 0.40 color rgb <0.66275,0.57647,0.58824>
               color rgb <0.65882,0.56078,0.57255>]
    [0.40 0.72 color rgb <0.64275,0.55647,0.56824>
               color rgb <0.63882,0.54078,0.55255>]
    [0.72 0.95 color rgb <0.62275,0.53647,0.54824>
               color rgb <0.61882,0.52078,0.53255>]
    [0.95 1.00 color rgbt <1,1,1>
               color rgbt <1,1,1>]
  }
  finish { stuff to make it polished stone }
}
texture {
  pigment {marble
  turbulence 0.85
  crinkle
  color_map {
    [0.00 0.95 color rgb <1,1,1>
               color rgb <1,1,1>]
    //Darkened to enhance the vein like appearance.
    [0.95 1.00 color rgb <0.47775,0.39147,0.40324>
               color rgb <0.47382,0.37578,0.38755>]
  }
  finish { stuff to make it metallic }
}

Right? Can just try it, but wouldn't mind some input on how to get the
texture itself a bit closer to what I want as well.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();