POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. : Re: Need two things.. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:58:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need two things..
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 22 Feb 2008 03:00:00
Message: <web.47be7ffcef771f4cfddaa4670@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:

> Second, I need to make something that looks a bit like an 8 sided D&D
> dice. The plan is to texture it using one of the matched textures, add
> some metal bits too it that match others, carve into it some symbols,
> some of them also matched to textures from a game, then have the whole
> thing floating and slowly rotating on the Guild webpage. I really am not
> in the mood to try to code the textures, or the object, manually using a
> mess of CSG chopping

The six vertices are x,y,z,-x,-y,-z, possibly scaled by something.
If you want rounded edges, say with radius R,
then put spheres with radius R at each vertex, a cylinder with radius
R at each edge (or, to save code, a spheresweep
  x y (-x) (-y) x z y (-z) (-y) z (-x) (-z) x )
displace the triangle with vertices a,b,c by (a+b+c)*R/sqrt(3) (for
all applicable values of a b and c).
This assumes, that you do not need a solid die, i.e. your textures are
not transparent.

>                       but I have only fiddled now and them with the
> program, so maybe I need to post on like "intermediate" instead (if we
> had such a place). lol

I believe there is povray.general

  Mark Weyer