POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 2D graphical elements Server Time
21 Jun 2024 16:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  2D graphical elements (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: SharkD
Subject: 2D graphical elements
Date: 10 Feb 2011 20:25:08
Message: <4d548ff4$1@news.povray.org>
I think it would be good to have a series of 2D graphical elements to
use to display on-screen elements like text, arrows, guidelines, etc.
for creating diagrams and such. But, it would be kind of complicated
with POV-Ray's existing 3D elements.

Anyone want to help with such a project?

I'm thinking that copying SVG's syntax would be good. Positing them on
the screen would also be difficult.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> I think it would be good to have a series of 2D graphical elements to
> use to display on-screen elements like text, arrows, guidelines, etc.
> for creating diagrams and such. But, it would be kind of complicated
> with POV-Ray's existing 3D elements.
>
> Anyone want to help with such a project?
>
> I'm thinking that copying SVG's syntax would be good. Positing them on
> the screen would also be difficult.

Flyspray #63 get closed because of lack of answer from OP (guess who
opened it ?) (more about SVG in it!)

Have you investigated the screen.inc from the distribution ?

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message

> > I think it would be good to have a series of 2D graphical elements to
> > use to display on-screen elements like text, arrows, guidelines, etc.
> > for creating diagrams and such. But, it would be kind of complicated
> > with POV-Ray's existing 3D elements.
> >
> > Anyone want to help with such a project?
> >
> > I'm thinking that copying SVG's syntax would be good. Positing them on
> > the screen would also be difficult.
> >

> Flyspray #63 get closed because of lack of answer from OP (guess who
> opened it ?) (more about SVG in it!)
>
> Have you investigated the screen.inc from the distribution ?
>

> --
> Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
> around.
>
> Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
> and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
> it's free.

The problem with screen.inc or any other method that places an actual object on
the image, is that it falls apart when using focal blur.
It would be nice to have a way of adding 2D elements to the image that can be
done easily, and are not affected by the camera.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Le 11/02/2011 14:36, Trevor G Quayle a écrit :
> Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 11/02/2011 02:25, SharkD a écrit :
>>> I think it would be good to have a series of 2D graphical elements to
>>> use to display on-screen elements like text, arrows, guidelines, etc.
>>> for creating diagrams and such. But, it would be kind of complicated
>>> with POV-Ray's existing 3D elements.
>>>
>>> Anyone want to help with such a project?
>>>
>>> I'm thinking that copying SVG's syntax would be good. Positing them on
>>> the screen would also be difficult.
>>>

>> Flyspray #63 get closed because of lack of answer from OP (guess who
>> opened it ?) (more about SVG in it!)
>>
>> Have you investigated the screen.inc from the distribution ?
>>

> The problem with screen.inc or any other method that places an actual object on
> the image, is that it falls apart when using focal blur.
> It would be nice to have a way of adding 2D elements to the image that can be
> done easily, and are not affected by the camera.

Huh ?
If it is not to be affected by the camera, it will not stand with focal
blur.

Oh! *Some thoughts get into a brain somewhere lost deep in the universe*

if you just want a way to add 2D elements to an image, I would suggest
learning imagemagick script and using the post-render script facility of
povray (does it work yet within 3.7RC3 ?).

Do not ask a 3D renderer to do the job of a 2D picture editor.