POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 2D graphical elements : Re: 2D graphical elements Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:10:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D graphical elements
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 11 Feb 2011 10:40:01
Message: <web.4d55577b1ecabac281c811d20@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Huh ?
> If it is not to be affected by the camera, it will not stand with focal
> blur.
>
> Oh! *Some thoughts get into a brain somewhere lost deep in the universe*
>
> if you just want a way to add 2D elements to an image, I would suggest
> learning imagemagick script and using the post-render script facility of
> povray (does it work yet within 3.7RC3 ?).
>
> Do not ask a 3D renderer to do the job of a 2D picture editor.

I wouldn't really ask it to do much, but something I would use it for is
labelling images when I'm running test renders.  Simetimes I do this in batches
and would like paramters used printed directly on the image for reference.  I
know there are other ways to do it, and it can be faked in POV with certain
restrictions.

EG, in these images
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.4d52afc268e3dc0b81c811d20%40news.povray.org%3E/envmape
x.png)
I used POV to print the note on the bottom for ease (I know I could do it in an
external program).  I can live without it, but it's just something nice to have
available.

As an aside, megaPOV had a "camera_view" pigment, where you can the pigment is a
POV camera.   I used this to make cross-stereo images in one shot: Use an
orthographic camera on a box and texture each half of the box with a slightly
different camera perspective on the actual scene (just had to make sure my box
didn't impede in the scene.  This was also able to be used to do 2D labelling by
reverse: orthographic camera on a box textured with camera pigment, with any 2D
text layered over.

-tgq