POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Divide by Zero Error ? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 11:34:08 EDT (-0400)
  Divide by Zero Error ? (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Ken
Subject: Divide by Zero Error ?
Date: 8 Aug 1999 20:34:59
Message: <37AE20A5.A80C4782@pacbell.net>
Is this causing a divide by zero error or ? It gets past parsing but
when is gets to building bounding slabs it crashes Pov violently.

camera{location<0,20,20>look_at 0}

light_source{<0,50,100> rgb 1}

#declare Y = 0;
#while (Y < 50)
       #declare X = 0;
       #while (X < 50)
              sphere {
                     <X, Y, sin(X/Y)>, 0.1
                     pigment {color rgb<(sin(X/Y) + 1)/2, 0, 0>}
              }
              #declare X = X + 1;
       #end
       #declare X = 0;
       #declare Y = Y + 1;
#end

--
Ken Tyler
I know you are but what am I ? <Unknown child>

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:28:21 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Is this causing a divide by zero error or ? It gets past parsing but
>when is gets to building bounding slabs it crashes Pov violently.

The crash is not a divide by zero error.  I'm not sure what it is, but
it might be a stack fault.  It crashes somewhere deep within the
Visual C++ runtime library for me, in the process of doing a malloc
under a pile of calls to sort_and_split.  In short, I have no idea
what you did here. :)

Post a reply to this message

> On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:28:21 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >Is this causing a divide by zero error or ? It gets past parsing but
> >when is gets to building bounding slabs it crashes Pov violently.
>
> The crash is not a divide by zero error.  I'm not sure what it is, but
> it might be a stack fault.  It crashes somewhere deep within the
> Visual C++ runtime library for me, in the process of doing a malloc
> under a pile of calls to sort_and_split.  In short, I have no idea
> what you did here. :)

Do you think it's a bug and maybe someone should report it ? You could
probably word it in programmerese better than I if you feel it is worth
bringing to the teams attention.

--
Ken Tyler
I know you are but what am I ? <Unknown child>

Post a reply to this message

Change #declare X=0; to #declare X=.00001 and it works fine.