POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray Server Time: 14 Dec 2018 01:48:25 GMT
  How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray (Message 1 to 10 of 10)  
From: BillF
Subject: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 18 Feb 2010 01:25:01
Message: <web.4b7c950451e662bac1472ed0@news.povray.org>
I wonder? is it possible to export a moray scene file directly to povray so that
I can edit the small nuances (increasing the ior, for example) in povray? Also
would help in developing better scenes, since moray has limited capabilities in
this area

Thanks group - BillF


Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 18 Feb 2010 01:49:32
Message: <4b7c9cac$1@news.povray.org>
BillF wrote:
> I wonder? is it possible to export a moray scene file directly to povray so that
> I can edit the small nuances (increasing the ior, for example) in povray? Also
> would help in developing better scenes, since moray has limited capabilities in
> this area

If Moray's internal materials editor isn't letting you put in a 
particular value, you can use the 'direct code' material type therein.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 08:06:37
Message: <4b7e468d$1@news.povray.org>
"BillF" <h_h### [at] verizonnet> schreef in bericht 
news:web.4b7c950451e662bac1472ed0@news.povray.org...
>I wonder? is it possible to export a moray scene file directly to povray so 
>that
> I can edit the small nuances (increasing the ior, for example) in povray? 
> Also
> would help in developing better scenes, since moray has limited 
> capabilities in
> this area
>

Except for the DirectCode plugin, no. Moray is indeed in need of a serious 
overhaul, but that will take a while I guess and not before POV-Ray version 
3.7 is released. Personally, I often use Moray as a building start of more 
complex scenes which I later continue to develop directly in POV-Ray, 
sometimes adding Moray elements by cut and glue processes. Cumbersome, but 
it works. For most of my scenes however, I use mesh modellers nowadays and 
Moray is mostly on the backburner gathering dust. Still, I am fond of that 
application which really made me familiar with POV-Ray thirteen years ago.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: BillF
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 12:10:00
Message: <web.4b7e7eb9e66176b63c5dab4e0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "BillF" <h_h### [at] verizonnet> schreef in bericht
> news:web.4b7c950451e662bac1472ed0@news.povray.org...
> >I wonder? is it possible to export a moray scene file directly to povray so
> >that
> > I can edit the small nuances (increasing the ior, for example) in povray?
> > Also
> > would help in developing better scenes, since moray has limited
> > capabilities in
> > this area
> >
>
> Except for the DirectCode plugin, no. Moray is indeed in need of a serious
> overhaul, but that will take a while I guess and not before POV-Ray version
> 3.7 is released. Personally, I often use Moray as a building start of more
> complex scenes which I later continue to develop directly in POV-Ray,
> sometimes adding Moray elements by cut and glue processes. Cumbersome, but
> it works. For most of my scenes however, I use mesh modellers nowadays and
> Moray is mostly on the backburner gathering dust. Still, I am fond of that
> application which really made me familiar with POV-Ray thirteen years ago.
>
> Thomas

Hi, Thomas

Where would I find the "DirectCode" plugin, and how easy is it to install and
use. I too have used Moray and Povray for years, but that came to a crashing
halt when I was forced to start using Vista. It has been at least 5 years since
using these programs, and I'm finding it difficult to reaquaint myself with the
ins and outs of them.

Thanks for giving me a hint as to what to do
Bill


Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 12:32:56
Message: <4b7e84f8$1@news.povray.org>
"BillF" <h_h### [at] verizonnet> a écrit dans le message de news: 
web.4b7e7eb9e66176b63c5dab4e0@news.povray.org...
>
> Hi, Thomas
>
> Where would I find the "DirectCode" plugin, and how easy is it to install 
> and
> use. I too have used Moray and Povray for years, but that came to a 
> crashing
> halt when I was forced to start using Vista. It has been at least 5 years 
> since
> using these programs, and I'm finding it difficult to reaquaint myself 
> with the
> ins and outs of them.
>
> Thanks for giving me a hint as to what to do
> Bill
>
I guess Thomas meant Luis Gomes' InsertCode plugin.
You can find it on the Moray plugin page : 
http://www.stmuc.com/moray/meplugin.html
Just unzip it in the Moray installation plugins folder

Direct code is a feature of the material editor.
It appears nearly at the bottom of the 'create new material' list.
You can write complex materials in SDL in the (NARROW >_< !!!) edit window.


Marc


Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 12:34:27
Message: <4b7e8553$1@news.povray.org>
BillF wrote:
> Where would I find the "DirectCode" plugin, and how easy is it to install and
> use.

In Moray, open materials editor (F8).
Material -> Create
Select 'Direct Code Texture' from the list of options (shortcut key 'd').

> I too have used Moray and Povray for years, but that came to a crashing
> halt when I was forced to start using Vista.

I'm using both with Vista with negligible problems (POV doesn't behave 
quite as nicely as it did in XP with regards to lowering the priority of 
the rendering).

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net


Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 12:41:52
Message: <4b7e8710$1@news.povray.org>
"BillF" <h_h### [at] verizonnet> a écrit dans le message de news: 
web.4b7e7eb9e66176b63c5dab4e0@news.povray.org...

Just something we all passed by : a straight answer to your question :)

Indeed Moray exports pov files in the directory set in the 'render settings' 
dialog
The default is in  the 'POVScn' folder in the Moray installation folder.

Assuming your Moray scene is My_scene.mdl
My_scene.pov  contains the global settings, the camera, the geometry
My_scene.inc contains the materials exported by the material editor
My_scene.ini contains the render settings (resolution, anti-aliasing...)

Marc


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 13:22:03
Message: <4b7e907b$1@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht 
news:4b7e84f8$1@news.povray.org...
> I guess Thomas meant Luis Gomes' InsertCode plugin.
> You can find it on the Moray plugin page : 
> http://www.stmuc.com/moray/meplugin.html
> Just unzip it in the Moray installation plugins folder
>
> Direct code is a feature of the material editor.
> It appears nearly at the bottom of the 'create new material' list.
> You can write complex materials in SDL in the (NARROW >_< !!!) edit 
> window.

As BillF was refering to ior, I thought about DirectCode in the material 
editor in the first place. However, you are right to mention InsertCode in 
particular because it is a great addition to Moray. And it can be used also 
for more complex materials in which case it overlaps with DirectCode. 
Whatever one prefers :)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 19 Feb 2010 19:35:27
Message: <4b7ee7ff$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> a écrit dans le 
message de news: 4b7e907b$1@news.povray.org...
>
> As BillF was refering to ior, I thought about DirectCode in the material 
> editor in the first place. However, you are right to mention InsertCode in 
> particular because it is a great addition to Moray. And it can be used 
> also for more complex materials in which case it overlaps with DirectCode. 
> Whatever one prefers :)
>
> Thomas
As you referred to a plugin and DirectCode is a built-in feature, I was 
confused :)
My mistake

Marc


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: How to export moray scene to povray so it is editable in povray
Date: 20 Feb 2010 08:11:35
Message: <4b7f9937$1@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht 
news:4b7ee7ff$1@news.povray.org...
> As you referred to a plugin and DirectCode is a built-in feature, I was 
> confused :)
> My mistake

...and my confusion... :)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.