POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials. Server Time
3 May 2024 02:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Neil Kolban
Subject: Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials.
Date: 23 Sep 2004 22:03:04
Message: <41538058@news.povray.org>
Folks,
Newbie at Moray here ...

I find that when I take a .3DS file found on the Internet and attempt to
convert it to a UDO/INC file for Moray/POVRay, the materials don't come with
the conversion.

I used Win3D and, when I import the UDO, no materials are defined for my
objects.
I then tested with the "3D Object Converter" tool
(http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/) ... it displays both objects and materials,
but all the materials are "default".

Does anyone have a recipe for taking .3DS and converting to UDO/INC for use
with Moray?

Windows XP SP1
Moray V3.5

Neil

Post a reply to this message

"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> wrote:
> Folks,
> Newbie at Moray here ...
>
> I find that when I take a .3DS file found on the Internet and attempt to
> convert it to a UDO/INC file for Moray/POVRay, the materials don't come with
> the conversion.
>
> I used Win3D and, when I import the UDO, no materials are defined for my
> objects.
> I then tested with the "3D Object Converter" tool
> (http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/) ... it displays both objects and materials,
> but all the materials are "default".
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for taking .3DS and converting to UDO/INC for use
> with Moray?
>
> Windows XP SP1
> Moray V3.5
>

> Neil

The evaluation version of Win3D does not convert materials. Try PoseRay
http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/
This is one of the best converters for Moray/PovRay.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I find that when I take a .3DS file found on the Internet and attempt to
> convert it to a UDO/INC file for Moray/POVRay, the materials don't come
with
> the conversion.
>
> I used Win3D and, when I import the UDO, no materials are defined for my
> objects.
> I then tested with the "3D Object Converter" tool
> (http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/) ... it displays both objects and materials,
> but all the materials are "default".
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for taking .3DS and converting to UDO/INC for
use
> with Moray?
>
> Windows XP SP1
> Moray V3.5