POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials. : Re: Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials. Server Time
17 May 2024 16:48:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie: Converting .3DS files to UDO/INC loses/fails materials.
From: Stephen
Date: 25 Sep 2004 04:00:01
Message: <web.415524ad8e4c3566f11478c0@news.povray.org>
"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> wrote:
> Stephen,
> Oh my ... I love forums ... and appreciate good people like yourself who
> take the time to respond.  Poseray was just what I was looking for.
>
> I do have a follow on quick question ... my language may be poor because of
> being a subject newbie ... but here goes ...
>
> With Win3d, I saw that "groups" of objects were created.  These could be
> manipulated in Moray once the image was loaded.  Since my Win3d was not
> registered, I got no materials.
>
> When I use PoseRay (which is great), I get a UDO that contains materials BUT
> ... I seem to find that it is a single object with no sub-groups.... it
> appears information is lost when converted to UDO.  In PoseRay, I see the
> groups but when saved for Moray, they are lost ... is this as expected ...
> any way to keep the groups for Moray?
>
> Neil

Neil
Sorry but this answer is going to be iffy (I hope my colloquial English is
not confusing). I have not finished loading up my new PC after my old
machine died and most of this is from memory. Also I have not downloaded
the new version of PoseRay.
IIRC (If I remember correctly) earlier versions of PoseRay exported groups.
I registered Win3d so I could use its batch functions as well as the
materials. I prefer the materials in PoseRay so what I do for animations is
use Win3d for the meshes and PoseRay for the materials. To do this I need
to set the Win3d input options to import by usermaterial (sp?) then it
matched up with PoseRay output.
I had a quick look at the PoseRay beta and it looks like PoseRay should
output groups. I'm sure that someone else will step in here. (large hint!)
:-}
One other thing about registering Win3d. There is a separate Moray plugin
that allows you to export csg's created by Moray, not 100% effective but it
means that some models created in Moray can be exported then imported into
Poser or other 3D programmes.

Stephen