POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Re: SeaShell Plugin Server Time
16 Jun 2024 02:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SeaShell Plugin (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: SeaShell Plugin
Date: 9 Jun 2003 04:22:47
Message: <3ee443d7@news.povray.org>
Philippe,
Impressive plugin. Thanks for the work! A few comments, perhaps bugs(?)
The pre-defined shape 'coquille' is the basis for all lamellibranch and
brachiopod shells, so mostly the bivalve class. I think the name should be
changed to 'lamellibranch', as more specific.
Maybe a bug: when changing parameters in, for instance, coquille, and
switching then to ammonite, the shape inherites the changed parameters (at
least it looks so when viewing the wireframe which is not the basic shape
anymore). As far as I can tell, this only happens to the ammonite. All other
selections show the basic one. Deleting the shell and restarting the plugin,
of course shows the correct ammonite shape.
Maybe another bug, I am not sure: Several times while changing parameters,
Moray froze. Only way out was ctrl-alt-del and restart Moray, although the
mdl was corrupt sometimes and had to be deleted before (due to the crash
exit, no doubt). It may be that the freeze happened because of an
incompatible parameter value (too high for instance) so that the wireframe
update took too long or was not possible.

That's it for now,

Thomas

"Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> Hi there,
> Here is the beta version of SeaShell (which does what the name suggests).
> It's a FullMoon plugin so you need fullmoon.dll. You just have to copy the
2
> files (fullumoon.dll et seashell.lua) moray\plugins directory.
>
> An explanation about the model and its parameters can be found at
> http://www.math.arizona.edu/~lega/195/Fall99/lectnotes/lect8/sld002.htm.
>
> Starting from the "official" model I added :
> Ripples : small ripples on the generating curve, it gives the jagged
aspect
> of some shells (have a look at "Coquille"), usual values are around 50-100
> (you'll need vrey small steps in this case, and it'll be time consuming)
> Wave : Frequency lower than Ripples it changes the overall shape of the
> shell  (value between  0 & 20)
> My advice l : allways start from a pre-definite shell  (I've got 6 more),
> you can give birth to scary monsters if you want (and sometimes when you
> don't want to)
>

> Beta Version  :
> This version is fully functionnal (predefined set of parameters, choice
for
> every parameter, wireframe and POV export )
> Known Bug : when you choose a predefined Shell in the listbox, the
> parameters are updated so the wireframe, but the dialog part of the screen
> is not updated. I don't know if it is a FullMoon bug (I asked the author),
> or if there exists a function that I don't know, sort of UpdateWindows (if
> any one knows it...). A turnaround : select another object (even a light
or
> a camera), then selectionner the shell : the good parameters are
displayed.

> Version 1 :
> Correction of the bugs you'll found
> Optimisation of the wireframe which is a bit slow
>
> Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the rendering
> To have a smaller resolution around the bumps
> uv_mapping texturing
> Texture using the mesh2 capabilities
> New functions for the structural curve

> New functions for the waves
>
> Thanks for your comments and criticism
>
> pgb

Post a reply to this message

> The pre-defined shape 'coquille' is the basis for all lamellibranch and
> brachiopod shells, so mostly the bivalve class. I think the name should be
> changed to 'lamellibranch', as more specific.
I agree ("coquille" is a very generic name in french) , and will do it

> Maybe a bug: when changing parameters in, for instance, coquille, and
> switching then to ammonite, the shape inherites the changed parameters (at
> least it looks so when viewing the wireframe which is not the basic shape
> anymore). As far as I can tell, this only happens to the ammonite. All
other
> selections show the basic one. Deleting the shell and restarting the
plugin,
> of course shows the correct ammonite shape.
> Maybe another bug, I am not sure: Several times while changing parameters,
> Moray froze. Only way out was ctrl-alt-del and restart Moray, although the
> mdl was corrupt sometimes and had to be deleted before (due to the crash
> exit, no doubt). It may be that the freeze happened because of an
> incompatible parameter value (too high for instance) so that the wireframe
> update took too long or was not possible.
I think all your problems come from the known bug :
When you choose a predefined Shell in the listbox, the parameters are
updated so the wireframe, but the dialog part of the screen is not updated.
I don't know if it is a FullMoon bug (I asked the author), or if there
exists a function that I don't know, sort of UpdateWindows (if any one knows
it...). A turnaround : select another object (even a light or a camera),
then selectionner the shell : the good parameters are displayed.
I experienced the freezing of Moray when I forget to select another object,
then select back the shell.

pgb

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Jun 2003 10:10:05
Message: <3ee4953d@news.povray.org>
Yep!!!
That's the spirit!!
Good show!

Thomas

"SYLVAIN LESEUR" <sle### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
> Some pictures with SeaShell
> Sylvain

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 11 Jun 2003 07:28:14
Message: <3ee7124e@news.povray.org>
> Known Bug : when you choose a predefined Shell in the listbox, the
> parameters are updated so the wireframe, but the dialog part of the screen
> is not updated. I don't know if it is a FullMoon bug (I asked the author),
> or if there exists a function that I don't know, sort of UpdateWindows (if
> any one knows it...). A turnaround : select another object (even a light
or
> a camera), then selectionner the shell : the good parameters are
displayed.

I have the same problems with my plugins. I have not been able to find a way
around this limitation.

> Version 1 :
> Correction of the bugs you'll found
> Optimisation of the wireframe which is a bit slow
>
> Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the rendering
> To have a smaller resolution around the bumps
> uv_mapping texturing
> Texture using the mesh2 capabilities
> New functions for the structural curve

> New functions for the waves
>
> Thanks for your comments and criticism

Very cool :-)
Could you add support for the Object flags (no_image, no_reflection,
no_shadow...) and a Photons block.

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Gibone
Date: 11 Jun 2003 12:34:47
Message: <3ee75a27@news.povray.org>
> > Known Bug
> I have the same problems with my plugins. I have not been able to find a
way
> around this limitation.
I had the answer from Andre : replace all the EditBox by TextEdit (you lose
the controls, but it works)

> Could you add support for the Object flags (no_image, no_reflection,
> no_shadow...) and a Photons block.

I feel theese points are more a Moray than a plugin concern, so I'll wait
until the V 3.5 of Moray to see if it is included.

Thanks for your time

Philippe Gibone

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Jun 2003 04:17:06
Message: <3ee83702$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ee47417@news.povray.org> , "SYLVAIN LESEUR" <sle### [at] freefr>
wrote:

> Some pictures with SeaShell
> Sylvain

Please do not post binary attachments in non-binary groups.  For details,
please read:

Newsgroups: povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions
Subject: Welcome To The POV-Ray News Groups
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:28:42 -0700

Thanks,

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: leseur sylvain
Date: 12 Jun 2003 04:37:12
Message: <3ee83bb8$1@news.povray.org>

3ee83702$1@news.povray.org...
> In article <3ee47417@news.povray.org> , "SYLVAIN LESEUR" <sle### [at] freefr>
> wrote:
>
> > Some pictures with SeaShell
> > Sylvain
>
> Please do not post binary attachments in non-binary groups.  For details,
> please read:
>
> Newsgroups: povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions
> Subject: Welcome To The POV-Ray News Groups
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:28:42 -0700
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Thorsten
OK Sorry
Sylvain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2003 04:16:16
Message: <3eec2b50@news.povray.org>
Some comments below. Priority order given:

"Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the rendering
==> Priority 5.
> To have a smaller resolution around the bumps ==> hm. Not ested. Priority
somewhere in th middle I guess.
> uv_mapping texturing ==> Yes, this would be nice. Priority 1. Also with
exterior and interior texture definition possibility. Most shells in nature
are pearly white on the inside, while coloured on the outside.
> Texture using the mesh2 capabilities ==> Yes, absolutely! Priority 2. Now
it gives an error in POV.
> New functions for the structural curve ==> Priority 3.

> New functions for the waves ==> Priority 6.

Cheers,

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2003 04:20:26
Message: <3eec2c4a@news.povray.org>
Philippe,
What I forgot to suggest, was to include also (if possible) some predefined
textures like those from Sylvain, which are excellent ones and good starting
points to define ones own.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Gibone
Date: 15 Jun 2003 06:42:18
Message: <3eec4d8a@news.povray.org>
> > Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> > The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the
rendering
> ==> Priority 5.
Done in version 1 (very easy, and very convenient the redraws are very fast)

> > To have a smaller resolution around the bumps ==> hm. Not ested.
Priority
> somewhere in th middle I guess.

I'd like to put this one in version 2

> > uv_mapping texturing ==> Yes, this would be nice. Priority 1.
I'd like to put this one in version 2

>Also with exterior and interior texture definition possibility. Most shells
in nature
> are pearly white on the inside, while coloured on the outside.

Done in version 1, with a little problem : mesh2's accept an
"interior_texture", but no "material_texture", you can define texture
instead of material in Moray, but I don't know if it is possible to force
the user to select a testure and not a material for the inside. I'm yhinking
about giving a thickness to the Shell, this would solve the problem but
would multiply the parsing time by 2 !

> > Texture using the mesh2 capabilities ==> Yes, absolutely! Priority 2.
Now
> it gives an error in POV.
I don't get what kind of error you mean, by mesh2 capabilities I was
thinking of :
"To specify a texture for an individual mesh triangle, specify a single
integer texture index following the face-index vector for that triangle.
To specify three textures for vertex-texture interpolation, specify three
integer texture indices (separated by commas) following the face-index
vector for that triangle.
Vertex-texture interpolation and textures for an individual triangle can be
mixed in the same mesh"
and it is not yet in the code.

> > New functions for the structural curve ==> Priority 3.
I'd like to put this one in version 2

4.
> > New functions for the waves ==> Priority 6.
I'd like to put this one in version 3

About joining some textures (including a "the mother of all pearl"
texture ), I agree with you and I've allready asked Sylvain about that...

Cheers, and thanks for being concerned
Philippe Gibone