POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : New topic? Server Time: 27 Oct 2020 12:59:59 GMT
  New topic? (Message 38 to 47 of 57)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: New topic?
Date: 23 Jan 2007 15:52:11
Message: <45b62f2b$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message
>I agree with most of your comments. However, I believe we should first
>receive an official death certificate before starting our own -
>off-Broadway - competition. :-)
>
> Thomas
So who's going to issue the death certificate? As I pointed out, TPTB don't
give a damn about keeping us informed so what makes you think they're going
to care about officially announcing their own demise?

John

--
"That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential
security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jan 2007 16:35:00
Message: <web.45b638eedc71f6c4f1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> I agree with most of your comments. However, I believe we should first
> receive an official death certificate before starting our own -
> off-Broadway - competition. :-)
>
> Thomas

I think that it would be better if the name IRTC could be kept but the
competition put under new management. The IRTC has a honourable history and
the name has some sort of cachet. As others have said it would be courteous
if an explanation for the problems was given.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 23 Jan 2007 19:20:01
Message: <web.45b65eb8dc71f6c4ebc66b7d0@news.povray.org>
"Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
> "Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote in message
> <snip> ...
> >
> > Or maybe somebody else has some other suggestions?
> >
> > Hildur
> >
> One very simple one - Why don't we start our own competition?

  Ok, I vote for JC to get this going, (I've admired JC's work for some time
now).

 I also agree with Stephen's view that the 'IRTC' name should be kept, (if
we're allowed to do this - opinions?)

 I'm here to help if needed. So, let's *Rock 'n' Roll 'n' PoV* guys.

  My email can be found easily enough.

   ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Napivo
Date: 23 Jan 2007 20:20:00
Message: <web.45b66cc8dc71f6c43cd9c0860@news.povray.org>
Hello Guys,

I am pretty new to all this although I know of povray for more than 10 years
and have followed the IRTC for about the same amount of time. I want to
offer you my help when you decide to implement a new IRTC. I am pretty
experienced in C++ and VB and know a little about web development and I
have the time to do this now.

If we want to write a new (read decent) upload and voting system that
doesn’t fail. I suggest we take a few people. Log into an MIRC server or
whatever chat client you guys prefer and talk this trough.

I have a few suggestions of how this new system could work better and with
less hassle as it did before… but I’ll leave it at this for the moment.

Only remember that rebuilding a system from scratch will take at least 3
months to work out the major problems.

I’ll be watching this forum regularly but if anyone wants to contact me my
public Email is Nap### [at] yahoofr

Koen Van Vlasselaer

Post a reply to this message

From: Hildur K
Date: 23 Jan 2007 20:25:00
Message: <web.45b66e2cdc71f6c4505d35150@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:

> > One very simple one - Why don't we start our own competition?

I´m not 100% convinced that the IRTC is dead.. yet.

Besides I think this competition has a certain "flavor"  or spirit to it
which I like very much, and that would be difficult, if not impossible, to
match in another competition.

There is something charming and mysterious about the IRTC. I never figured
out exactly who is who and the admins are always hidden behind a veil of
invisibility. Us participants can just look up to them in awe and hope to
be noticed....

Think about the mysterious comment:

"from file: notable for textures, lighting, composition, modelling"  :-)

who writes that stuff anyway??? Looks like a standard comment, sometimes you
get several of them, maybe with some small variation.

At least it looks like somebody is watching us from "above".

I sincerely hope that person is reading this thread and will soon send us a
note, telling us everything is O.K. and we got nothing to worry about. That
they just had a minor technical problem and everything will be soon sorted
out.... happy ending.

On a more serious note:
There must be a way to find out what exactly is going on!

Hildur

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 23 Jan 2007 22:00:01
Message: <web.45b68439dc71f6c4ebc66b7d0@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> > "Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
>

> > > One very simple one - Why don't we start our own competition?
> >

> I´m not 100% convinced that the IRTC is dead.. yet.

   Nor am I Hildur, but when will you be convinced? In 50 days time?

  They know these messages are here. If they don't, that's how much they
care. I would have posted *something* by now if I was admin.

 It's coming up for 24 days...

 That's not fair to a world-wide community.  :o/

   ~Steve~

> Hildur

Post a reply to this message

From: Hildur K
Date: 23 Jan 2007 23:45:00
Message: <web.45b69ceedc71f6c4505d35150@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>    Nor am I Hildur, but when will you be convinced? In 50 days time?
>
>   They know these messages are here. If they don't, that's how much they
> care. I would have posted *something* by now if I was admin.
>
>  It's coming up for 24 days...
>
>  That's not fair to a world-wide community.  :o/
>
>    ~Steve~

Your´re probably right. And I agree with you that this is by no means fair
to all those who have put so much effort into their 3d work and contributed
to this competition.

But what if this poor guy in charge doesn´t have any internet access
whatsoever, which means that we have to write an old fashioned letter and
put it in the post if we want to contact him?

If this turns out to be the case.... us feeling left out in the cold,
feeling sorry for ourselves, nobody cares about us poor IRTC submitters,
let´s just start our own competition, etc.... :-) And then we find out that
all the time this poor guy, sitting in the middle of nowhere, biting off his
fingernails, the phone line is broken or something, and he can´t get the
message out: The current topic is.... or maybe something happened to him
and nobody knows about it yet.

I think we have to know for sure before we start discussing other
arrangements.

I guess us Povers have developed a unique kind of patience after raytracing
complicated radiosity scenes for years. In our world good things happen
VERY slowly....
zzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe we should start a "who can guess the current topic" competition while
we wait?

Hildur

Post a reply to this message

From: Napivo
Date: 23 Jan 2007 23:50:00
Message: <web.45b69df8dc71f6c43cd9c0860@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> > "Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
>

> > > One very simple one - Why don't we start our own competition?
> >

> I´m not 100% convinced that the IRTC is dead.. yet.

I wasn’t saying we give up on IRTC yet… I was saying it might be time to get
a group together and start drawing up some plans in case. I sincerely hope
that IRTC comes out of hibernation (soon).

Maintaining a system like the IRTC is trouble enough. Designing, building
and debugging one from scratch will take time… Again I hope I am jumping
the gun and that all plans make can be put in the recycle bin

Staying hidden on the internet is easy enough once the system runs only a
few will know who created it and who is maintaining it. Wrapping yourself
in a veil of mystery, certainly in this case, is more of a problem to a
community then it’s worth,

Being open in the community and taking part in it. Getting hailed when
everything runs smooth and blasted when everything fails shows courage,
Hiding and silence when everything goes wrong is easy enough and I would go
as far as call it cowardice….

At least I would have put an announcement on the front page telling people
that I was experiencing technical problems and couldn’t tell them how long
they would last…. It’s the least you can do as sysadmin.

Oh well… Sorry for my ramblings.

Napivo

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jan 2007 07:59:09
Message: <45b711cd@news.povray.org>
I agree up to 100% with this.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 24 Jan 2007 08:27:08
Message: <45b7185c$1@news.povray.org>
>I agree up to 100% with this.

    I agree too, but surely there should be some kind of back-up system
where Hildurs' scenario becomes the case?

     <shrug>

      ~Steve~