POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : not sure how to solve this problem : Re: not sure how to solve this problem Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: not sure how to solve this problem
From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Mar 2006 07:44:14
Message: <zoHEWUALaWFEFwmD@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jim Charter who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>> If this effect is causing you problems in a real scene, here's really
>> ugly workround that will get you going:
>>
>> #declare my_isosurface = isosurface { ...
>>
>> object {my_isosurface no_shadow}
>> object {my_isosurface scale 0.999}
>>
>> The scale value plus the accuracy value should add up to 1.0 or less, so
>> scale 0.999 works with your accuracy value of 0.001. If you want more
>> accurate shadows you can use accuracy 0.00001 and scale 0.99999
>>
>> Obviously, in your test scene there's no need for the shadow casting
>> copy, because the shadow isn't case on anything other than itself, and
>> it's those self shadows that are the problem.
>>
>Thanks to you and Slime for taking a look.  The first image is a test
>from the actual application.
>
>The second is from a quick attempt to apply your workaround but I don't
>think I quite grasped the concept.  Anyway it is apparently to no avail.

What does your code produce if you just add "no_shadow" to your
isosurface?

For your cylinder code, adding "no_shadow" clears up the artefacts, but
that would look wrong in a real scene if there was something below the
object onto which a shadow would be expected to be cast.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure