POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Climbing up the stairway to er WIP ~83k : Re: Climbing up the stairway to er WIP ~83k Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Climbing up the stairway to er WIP ~83k
From: Mike Williams
Date: 21 Aug 2000 13:28:38
Message: <xCsn9CAU9Qo5Ew7Y@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Peter Cracknell who wrote:
>I've been looking around and going through my mini-library of annoyingly
>lo-res pictures I found on the web (all 10 of them or so) I found a triangle
>down the centre - included though as I said its lo-res, if you or anyone
>could find something slightly more detailed or just tell me what 3d shape it
>is along with whats on it, I'd be especially grateful.
>Thanks again

I recognise that picture as being of part of the London Underground (the
big clue is the underground symbol on the rightmost poster (a ring with
a bar through it).

If I remember correctly, the objects on the surfaces between the stairs
have a triangular cross section, and the ends slope inwards at about the
same angle as the faces. Something like:-

#include "metals"
intersection {
  plane {y, -0.5 inverse}
  plane {y, -0.5 rotate x*120 inverse}
  plane {y, -0.5 rotate x*240 inverse}
  plane {x, 4 rotate z*30}
  plane {x, -4 rotate -z*30 inverse}
  texture{T_Chrome_3B}
  // rotated so that the bottom face matches the slope
  rotate x*Escalator_Slope
}

but with rounded edges.

They bear the inscription "Please stand on the right".

Not all London Underground escalators have exactly the same objects, but
they all have something in the same approximate locations to dissuade
kids from sliding down the spaces between the escalators.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure