POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 2 Problems with Megapov .5 : Re: 2 Problems with Megapov .5 Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 Problems with Megapov .5
From: Glen Berry
Date: 18 May 2000 00:51:21
Message: <x3EjOTSGDcxUi7SXcL8103twtI1O@4ax.com>
On 17 May 2000 07:34:05 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I would suggest some #ifdef's in the povray source code. If we are NOT
>compiling for DOS, then just use as long file names as needed. If we are
>compiling for DOS, then truncate and don't care about the consecuences.

I would prefer Sigmund Kyrre Aas's idea of using a subdirectory for
animation frames output. If we are using DOS, then output the frames
into a subdirectory. The name of the subdirectory could be taken from
the "+O" command line parameter. Alternately, it could be named after
the parent POV scene file. Each frame in the subdirectory would be
sequentially named  from 00000001.tga, to a possible 99999999.tga
(assuming a tga output format.)

This could be done conditionally with #ifdef's in the source code, and
make it a DOS-specific feature. If we'd rather, it could also be an
option for all platforms, by adding an option to POV's ini file, or
command line. That way, the end user could pick the behaviour that
suited them best.

I don't really like truncation at all. It's simply an awkward
arrangement.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )