POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DJGPP - GNU - Panorama : Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama
From: Jan Danielsson
Date: 26 May 1999 11:32:53
Message: <wnaqnavryffbasnyhaznvygryvnpbz.fccp7e1.pminews@news.povray.org>
>Hi, I'm actually Edward Coffey, not David (I'm just using his computer)
>Is it blasphemy to suggest that POV-Ray move toward a release under the GNU
>project, possibly merging with GNU's Panorama ray-tracer, and compiling
>under DJGPP.  Surely such a move could only benefit the POV-Ray
>development/user community.

Why? POV-Ray is great as it is.

Nowdays I work only with VisualAge C++ 3.0 for OS/2, but a couple of years
ago I worked alot with Watcom. Whenever I couldn't find a povray-version
precompiled for OS/2, I simply downloaded the sources and compiled them. I
did this with Watcom, and I do it with VisualAge C++.

The last couple of years alot of Linux/GNU stuff have been 'ported' to OS/2.
Since I do not have any GNU compiler, I've tried to compile the sources with
whatever compiler I have. It's been more problem than it's worth.

So, from my point of view, GNU-apps aren't even nearly as portable as povray.
Portability being one of the keywords in the world of porvray.

Don't take this all wrong, I like GNU. As far as I have understood,
portability is a big thing in GNU. But it only seems to apply to those who
have a GNU-compiler.

Portability speaking: What the POV-Team have done is incredible, and is by
far more impressing than any GNU-project I've seen. So I say: Let the
GNU-ists learn from the POV-Team instead. :-)

 /j