POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial : Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial Server Time
3 Jun 2024 03:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial
From: jr
Date: 29 Apr 2024 07:15:00
Message: <web.662f809eb1d4fdc11686e436cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > so, the "take away" is to not mix RGB types and 's' variants in the
> > same scene ?
>
> I don't think it causes any technical problems 'under the hood'-- I sometimes
> mix the two 'flavors' in *object* colors, depending on...whim ;-) But as a
> *general* rule, it is probably not a good idea to mix one flavor in LIGHTS with
> another flavor on objects-- only because the resulting object colors would be
> somewhat unexpected.

ouch.  exactly the habit I've fallen into, srgb light + rgb all else.  </grin>

> Consider the following combinations ...

thank you very much for that.  simple and effective.

> Personally, I like to use the 3rd combination...just a personal choice due to
> familiarity with how colors in other graphics apps appear to me. No 'washed-out'
> colors, in other words. I have never been very good at choosing plain rgb
> triplets to get what I want.

same here, I need a visual of the colour, usually.  may try and address "the
habit".

@ingo, "I wouldn't miss srgb."

thanks for providing a "sideways perspective", appreciated.

regards, jr.