POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting. : Re: v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting. Server Time
17 May 2024 18:52:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting.
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Feb 2024 16:20:00
Message: <web.65bffeeec5ecfa2a9b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
Although you mentioned running 3.8 beta 2, I decided to test your examples plus
your command-line  +mv3.7 additions in 3.8 beta 1 (Windows)-- just to see if the
behavior and returned parse warnings are the same. They all are-- except for the
'extra' warnings you mentioned "after bounding completes, the following
happens..." Those do not appear. I guess that's a slight change between beta 1
and beta 2.

[BTW: I noticed that your command-line switch for #version has an extra period
or decimal point--  +mv.3.7  -- whereas the documentation says  +mv3.7. But
either one seems to work OK, which surprised me.]

Actually, the ini/command-line switches for a scene's #version (and/or
assumed_gamma) is something that I have never used; instead, I always explicitly
state those in my scenes. But from what you mentioned here and in another recent
thread, I get the feeling that the switches are the 'proper' way to do it-- to
override(?) what might already be in a scene, and to avoid any possible (or
difficult-to-track-down) problems that might crop up. Are my assumptions
correct?

If so, I am curious about your c.pov example:

// c.pov file
#version 3.7;
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }
//...
#version 3.5;
sphere { 0, 1 }

Does adding a command-line switch like +mv3.8 override BOTH of the explicit
#version settings there? I have to admit that I am rather naive about all of
this #version business and the various possible interactions.