POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : Updated yuqk tarballs for Unix/Linux. 427af17e : Re: Updated yuqk tarballs for Unix/Linux. 427af17e Server Time
17 May 2024 17:00:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Updated yuqk tarballs for Unix/Linux. 427af17e
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Jan 2024 23:35:00
Message: <web.65b729c41c123a929b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> I ran the bug down to something sitting in v3.8 onward (perhaps older
> code too - I didn't check)...
>
> Attached is an image...

THANK YOU for doing such a thorough series of tests-- "above and beyond the call
of duty"! I really appreciate it.

> The bottom row is a repeat on the left for v3.8 beta 2, but I have made
> edits to your scene file to define a user default texture and make
> explicit it is the base for derived textures below. This amounts to
> replacing the default{} with:
>
> #declare DfltTxtr = texture { finish{ambient 1 emission 0 diffuse 0} }
> [snip]

That's a useful suggestion, thank you again for coming up with it! (I do recall
that you mentioned such changes, in one of your recent threads.) So, I decided
to eliminate my #default statement and add your edits...and everything still
works fine in v3.7 and 3.8 beta 1. I have attached the edited test scene, in
case you want to run a 'sanity check' to see if the results are still OK in your
fork.

> Aside: Your test case triggers the 'always full depth' method 3 bug
> still sitting in v3.8 beta 2...
>
> the following command:
>
>    p380b2 test.pov +w300 +h300 +a0.005 +am3 +ac0.90     +r5
>
> runs 400% slower.

Wow! Luckily for me, my object-slicing code will not make use of AA-- for
technical reasons having to do with that 3D SLICER medical app that I am using
for my POV-ray-to-STL 3-D-printing scheme (which is now almost ready to be
posted!)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cutaway_textures_test_for_w_p_redux.pov.txt' (3 KB)