POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfields of sediment layers : Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1 Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:59:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1
From: Samuel B
Date: 14 Oct 2023 18:00:00
Message: <web.652b0ea38839199f16bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> As a side track to the subject, I am playing also with height field maps
> generated by GeoControl (*.tga). It also provides normal maps (the
> well-known bluish maps) and greyscale maps, both as *.bpm. I want to
> explore if I can usefully add the normal maps to my height fields. It
> looks like it does.

What would the normal maps be useful for, I wonder? We can only change surface
normals via the normal{} block, so any other things for which we would use
normal maps can already be done with slope maps... There's functions I guess,
since I don't think we can use regular slope maps in those... so having a normal
map from another program might be useful there.

> >> [ex cathedra]
> >> My playing with the warp {turbulence ...} had the interesting effect of
> >> nicely simulating what is known as 'loading' in sedimentology [...]
> >
> > It's very fascinating. I'm sure the layers could tell you a lot about the makeup
> > and history of the surrounding landscape [...]
> >
> Indeed. However, it all depends on the availability (far of or nearby)
> of source rocks containing or having contained such minerals, as the
> concentrations of gold or heavy minerals (placers!) are the results of
> erosion and then winnowing by streams and other such processes. Even the
> wind can play that role in desert environments. So yes, knowing
> something about the local geology can be very useful.

Yeah, I think you could find out things about an area that are not otherwise
easily deduced by just studying the nearby bedrock. For instance (and I might've
mentioned this before), but around here there can be found a mineral called
sillimanite. Not only does it impart quartz with a neat opalaescent appearance,
but it can also be use as a gauge, indicating the specific range of temperatures
local minerals formed under at some point in the past. (And that's the extent of
my knowledge regarding the subject ;P)

Sam