POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfields of sediment layers : Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1 Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:59:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields of sediment layers - wip 1
From: Samuel B
Date: 11 Oct 2023 18:45:00
Message: <web.652724548839199f16bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 08/10/2023 om 22:36 schreef Samuel B.:
> > [...] It's a general lack of smoothness [...]
> >
> I wonder if you do no interpret here the granite normals from the used
> (complex) rock texture...? See below.

Yeah, it's quite possible. Also, other differences in shading, colors and aa
could have something to do with my perception of things.

> [ex cathedra]
> My playing with the warp {turbulence ...} had the interesting effect of
> nicely simulating what is known as 'loading' in sedimentology:
> alternating layers of unconsolidated, water-saturated, sediments
> (sand/clay), for example in tidal basins with a high sediment input.
> Differential compaction of those sediments may generate 'loading'
> deformation of the coarser sediments into the finer ones. Earthquakes
> can generate those same features by 'liquefying' soft sediments.
> [/ex cathedra]

It's very fascinating. I'm sure the layers could tell you a lot about the makeup
and history of the surrounding landscape... And I bet one could find heavier
minerals at the bottoms of various basins, given enough disturbance of the
sediments during and after deposition. Gold, if present, will of course settle
toward the bottoms of things, but other stuff is sure to settle in as well. Many
precious & semi-precious gems (ruby, garnet, etc.) are denser than other
minerals. In fact, there's a local creek where small red garnets can be found
alongside gold, provided the panning step isn't done too aggressively.

> > Btw, 'CamZoom' doesn't seem to do anything. Changing the camera's angle to this
> > makes it work: CamAng/CamZoom
> >
> I know. CamZoom is just there in case it is needed. It is in fact a
> relict from another scene I didn't bother to ditch. :-)
>
> [>] Just for completeness sake, I checked; it originally came from the
> original iso2pov scene codes by Jaime. I do not remember having checked
> its correct working...

Its funny how various bits of code tend to collect and deposit themselves in our
scenes over time :D

Sam