POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Calculation errors : Re: Calculation errors Server Time
20 May 2024 00:37:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculation errors
From: Droj
Date: 14 Sep 2023 14:30:00
Message: <web.65034fd6c7e7348b6848bf7f3b2af915@news.povray.org>
> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to adapt an Excel spreadsheet in POV. I've got a strange problem.
>
> Are you trying to do atan2 like sane people do?
> Because the jackasses at Microsoft reversed the arguments.

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C58f61085%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C58f61085%40news.povray.or
g%
> 3E
>
> -BW

Hi BE,

we had a similar problem a while ago with the tube-kind-of-thing:
'the atan2 mystery' and you found the right track.

But see what Povray 3.7 documentation uses:
<< 3.3.1.5.4 Functions
atan2(A,B)
Arc-tangent of (A/B). Returns the angle, measured in radians, whose tangent is

So in your words and accepted by the rest of the world - except Microsoft - it
should read atan2(B,A).

It's always good to have you around.

-Droj