POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood program but still develop : Re: Wood program but still develop Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:52:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood program but still develop
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 31 Aug 2023 18:05:00
Message: <web.64f10e605b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
> And then, anyone know why the wood grains becomes so white(or ever saw the same
> ) on my last post image(dsc_0814)? I don't know why.

What you're seeing there is oxidation of the paint, or a frosting or "bloom"
from when solvent gets on the surface and dissolves out some of the clear
binder, or when water gets on the paint and hydrates/swells the surface coating,
which I believe causes it to develop microscopic cracks, allowing air in, and
giving it a different IOR.
Kind of like taking transparent tape and putting it on a dark surface - it's not
transparent until you rub/burnish it down to exclude all of the air between the
tape and the surface.

> If I can simulate the most of the wood pattern detail like this attached pic

I think that what might have to happen is to have a variety of functions that
get interpolated across the surface of the wood, to give rise to a smooth
blending of different patterns.   Right now you're just sort of unioning them.

> I have many reasons.
> The one reason is that I need correct information about the f_bumps pattern.

What needs to be corrected?

- BW