POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
15 Jun 2024 19:43:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: jr
Date: 23 Aug 2023 08:15:00
Message: <web.64e5f790a9f3bc0a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> A number of the private utilities don't seem to be working out too well for some
> of us in the 'states. Things are bound to happen, of course, but sometimes the
> frequency of those 'things' is a bit too high. (It's not as bad as Puerto Rico
> here, but... that line of thinking doesn't help the people living there :/)

ouch.  means you lose power etc supplies "frequently" ?

we should know _v_ soon :-)

> > > Yes! And hopefully this attempt goes better than the last (unfortunate things
> > > happen, unfortunately).
> > very much hope the second attempt goes well.  (even if that means (the
> > insufferable ;-)) Mr Modi gets to beat his chest :-))
> Any progress is good, as long as it's real and not just to show off. Searching
> for water and minerals on the south lunar pole seems like a good goal to me. I
> know there's a lot of criticism regarding their space program (e.g. that money
> could be used for people in need), but that seems like a deflection from taxing
> rich people more.

wasn't aware of criticisms re their space programme; my own comment was/is re
the BJP and all that.

> I was also bummed that North Korea's recent satellite launch wasn't successful.
> Not only would it have been a source of (hopefully healthy) pride and
> accomplishment, it would have also been another way for them to be less
> paranoid, since having more eyes on nearby things helps one make better
> decisions.

ah, credit to you.  have not paid much (any :-() attention to North Korea.

> The natural sounds of birds, grasshoppers, storms... it's all great. Even people
> doing normal people things isn't so bad. But at the risk of self-diagnosing, I
> think I might have some form of transient misophonia. Certain things like a bass
> drum beat, large beeping equipment, people partying at all times and such... it
> just rubs me the wrong way sometimes. I'm getting better, though. I use ear
> plugs to cut out most of the noise, and a degree of stoicism to navigate my
> feelings about the onslaught. (It's not often as bad as I make it out to be.)

guess you'll be aware of Bose noise cancellation headphones, then.

> I looked that up. Found a song I'm not particularly interested in, but the idea
> of something being created on an Atari system is intriguing.

yes.  Atari vs Commodore..  those _were_ the days :-).

> > ... "news junkie", ...
> I read the news every morning on Lemmy and Reddit. On a basic level, reading
> words is different than hearing audio and seeing video on TV. The potential for
> getting upset is still there, but at least the manipulation is attenuated by a
> few degrees. (Speaking of cannabis, that's how I found out how much television
> was manipulating my mind. It happens on a level most of us ignore...
> subconscious even. And to think, many people just don't realize that it's going
> on all the time. [Or maybe I just think too much.])

</grin>  DHOH's "TV - Drug of the nation"'s lyrics spell it out.

> > like people recommend to do with caged parrots and other social birds, I leave
> > the radio on, 24/7, just above audible or "volume up" :-), on a music
> > station[**].  works a treat.
> I should have done this when we had cockatiels. Probably would have made things
> better.
> What's listening to that low-level noise like? Do you ever misrepresent the
> sounds or is it basically white noise to you?

no, not "white noise" or any such.  just on low level volume most of the time
(tend to turn it up when washing up/housework stuff).  may well just be a
mechanism for "combating silence", who knows.  also, no TV in this household.

> I have some kind of tinnitus, and when I'm in certain stages of sleep (dreaming)
> it makes music. I'd like to learn a music application better in order to record
> what I hear. It's almost like some sort of inter-dimensional radio, but I'm
> pretty sure it's just my subconscious remixing memories. (Unless 'SpaghettiOs
> Cereal' is a thing somewhere, haha.)

:-)  a recording project sounds (no pun intended) a real good idea (cf the "self
analysis" thing).

> Pretty sure my radio can't pick that up. But have you ever seen this?
> http://radio.garden/visit/ It's a site with a 3D globe you can navigate. You can
> listen in on real-time broadcasts, from anywhere on Earth.

had not known, v nice idea.  I guess there will a setting to enable browsing
w/out stations starting to auto-play, but didn't see it in time ;-).

regards, jr.