POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
15 Jun 2024 20:29:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: jr
Date: 21 Aug 2023 12:25:00
Message: <web.64e38f23a9f3bc0a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Yay, power's back on! It got knocked out last night, thanks to Tropical Storm
> Hilary.

ah, good.  a "novelty" in that area I read (80 years!).  made me think, another
benefit of "urban" living - priority when restoring services.

> > > (I think India might be making a moon landing here pretty soon...)
> > this week, fingers crossed.
> Yes! And hopefully this attempt goes better than the last (unfortunate things
> happen, unfortunately).

very much hope the second attempt goes well.  (even if that means (the
insufferable ;-)) Mr Modi gets to beat his chest :-))

> Russia's got a moon mission going too, but I think it has already hit a snag.
> With any luck, it won't be a major setback for them.

from where I'm sitting, it looked a little like Russia was trying to "upstage"
India.  in that sense, "poetic justice".  </shrug>

> > > That's good. Personally, I have at times found it hard to feel alone and
> > > comfortable, even though I live in a rural area. ...
> > I envy people who (can afford to) live in, say, Tokyo.  think them real
> > lucky having the products and services of _millions_ on the doorstep.
>
> It would be nice to order a pizza on a whim, or have a package reliably make it
> to my doorstep (and not some post office). But the noise would be too much for
> me, I'm pretty sure.
>
> Would greater access to products & services outweigh the busyness of the place
> for you? Or maybe the busyness is part of the appeal? I can imagine how seeing
> and hearing all the commotion from a cozy apartment would be neat.

I think/know the "hustle + bustle" is part of the appeal.  I struggle to see the
noise problem though.  life == "noise" :-)  I remember (vaguely) hearing
grasshoppers and birdsong when little.  silence is a problem because it implies
perceived threat(s) (in the natural world).  another aspect is the "forgetting
to buy a pint of milk" thing.  happens all too frequently to me, these days, so
if shopping meant a 50 miles round-trip, I'd be in trouble :-).

(re-ordered)
> > > But yeah, I like a good debate, provided all parties are arguing in good faith.
> >
> > yes, in good faith.
> >
> > (that then precludes conversation with about any politician who ever walked the
> > Earth :-))
>
> I'm looking at my country's next presidential election and just shaking my head
> `:/

> It's been suggested many times that all world leaders should take a bunch of
> mushrooms and meditate on things. It would be great if it helped, but it's also
> said people lacking a conscience are drawn to power, or find it easier to stay
> there, so, idk.

:-)  that would be kind of irresponsible too, I'd think that many of those
"leaders" could be vulnerable afterwards, depressed, suicidal, some without
doubt.  how about just "cookies" and MJ Cole's 'Sincere' as background during
debates ?  </grin>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MJ_Cole>

> I read the news almost every day, but I try not to get too upset about it all.

fwiw, I used to be a "news junkie", papers and (BBC) Radio 4.  but, I kept
getting upset.  so I've made changes[*].  like people recommend to do with caged
parrots and other social birds, I leave the radio on, 24/7, just above audible
or "volume up" :-), on a music station[**].  works a treat.

[*] I still "allow" myself 15/20 minutes daily on a news channel, but find more
and more days where I don't bother.
[**] BBC Radio 6Music.  on DAB here, your side of the pond would require
streaming I guess.

> The song that really made me like the guy is "Some Sunsick Day." It seems to be
> about a species that experiences a great disaster, yet manages to rebuild their
> society. Happy and sad.

</phew> ;-) and thanks.

regards, jr.