POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
15 Jun 2024 17:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: jr
Date: 20 Aug 2023 08:40:00
Message: <web.64e2081ca9f3bc0a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The word 'diversification' is closer to what I was getting at. Life seems driven
> towards diversity, both in genes and ideas. Maybe it's not its actual purpose
> (is there one?), but it's certainly a result. One could argue we humans are
> doing our best when exploring all sorts of different ideas, while being careful
> not to perpetuate harmful ones. (Maybe I think this way because I prefer reality
> to be interesting, and not like that dark planet from A Wrinkle in Time.)

with you up to and including "result".  mix + mingle freely, ideally.

on the rest, but who decides ?

> But yeah, I like a good debate, provided all parties are arguing in good faith.

yes, in good faith.

(that then precludes conversation with about any politician who ever walked the
Earth :-))

> > re space, there's plenty of it :-)
> We should colonize it, truly.

oh man, I misunderstood, completely.  I'd read it as in "elbow room".

> But we should be extra careful not to contaminate
> possible ecosystems. (Ever read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?) There

think 'Red' or 'Green', but that must be 20 years ago, longer ?  no memory as
such.

fwiw, re "Sci-Fi", Iain M Banks (in the 'Culture' books) had peoples who
gene-engineered themselves to function in vacuum, for periods of time.
 given that most of space is just that, I like the idea.

> is so much we could do to remove stress from the planet by going outward. So
> much water, so many metals, and a number of power sources are available to us
> out there. (I think India might be making a moon landing here pretty soon...)

this week, fingers crossed.

> That's good. Personally, I have at times found it hard to feel alone and
> comfortable, even though I live in a rural area. (My personal bubble feels
> really huge sometimes.) The feeling has only gotten worse over the years,
> especially since Airbnb became a thing. People coming in droves, sometimes
> playing loud music at night. It's not always bad but I often feel penned-in,
> since I am not a very outgoing person.

interesting really because, like you, I'd describe myself as not very outgoing,
yet, I envy people who (can afford to) live in, say, Tokyo.  think them real
lucky having the products and services of _millions_ on the doorstep.

> I agree with you, and it's very messed up. These are actual people.
>
> I was just pointing out a couple possible issues ...

sorry, yes.  it is just that certain issues simply leave me depressed-as-fuck,
and the vision of 200+ self-interested parties ("nation states"), armed to the
teeth (except, to their credit, Costa Rica), "negotiating" in times of looming
crises is one of them.

> I listened to one of their songs yesterday, and the vocalist seemed very
> familiar. They had a 1996 album, so I'll give that a listen, since that's the
> time period in which I heard her last.

:-)  enjoy.

fwiw, "I don't wanna see what's happening outside"..  while I (we, I guess :-))
can relate to that, the track as such .. lukewarm ?  may have another go as the
"wikipedia blurb" read quite interesting.

regards, jr.