POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
30 Jun 2024 06:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: jr
Date: 9 Aug 2023 14:10:00
Message: <web.64d3d570a9f3bc0a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > [...] personally, I tend to visit a new URL in an "incognito" window [...]
>
> This is the way. I do this (in FF), not because I think it it protects me from
> being tracked completely (it doesn't), but because it keeps my searches from
> being curated.

yes, "curated".  these impersonal "personalisations" have crept in to, it seems,
every aspect of web access.  thoroughly dislike (mildest :-)) the trend.

> > :-)  no FF (or TB) here.
> You might want to change your mind about that, since I heard Chromium-based
> browsers will be making it harder (if not impossible) to use ad blockers in the
> near future.
>
> (rant incoming)

:-)  (seeks shelter behind desk)

> I'm done with ads. I hate them. I grew up watching them on TV and seeing them in
> magazines, and I have had my fill.

agree, and here Google really is the major offender, afaict.  I mean, what
soulless cretin puts advertisements in the middle of (tracks of) an album ?!
(as happens on YT)

> Here's a great Banksy quote about
> advertising:

yes, commerce vs ethics.. thanks.  (one of my "firm favourite" artists)

you replied to Thomas:

> But worst of all are the wars my country wages abroad ... Well, I try
> not to get too worked up about it but I still feel somewhat responsible,
> being a US citizen and all.

guess I must be older than you, I think the "not quite wars" the US of A
conducted in Central-America, more often than not via its Central Intelligence
Agency, were worse perhaps because undeclared.  but look on the bright side, at
least y'all can get cheap cocaine now, by the ton :-).

and you do not have to be a US (of A) citizen to feel the responsibility(-ies),
truly, we all ought to.

regards, jr.