POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Aspect Ratio Handling : Re: Aspect Ratio Handling Server Time
20 May 2024 06:03:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aspect Ratio Handling
From: jr
Date: 24 Jul 2023 04:10:00
Message: <web.64be310c33bc165780c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Greg Kennedy" <ken### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The default POV-Ray camera setting for "right" is a 4:3 ratio, designed to match
> the default 4:3 output (for 4:3 screens) leading to a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.
>
> A common stumbling block for new users is attempting to render a 16:9 image,
> which leads to non-square pixels and the output appearing horizontally
> stretched.  This means a search in the manual until you discover the magic words
> "right x*ImageWidth/ImageHeight" to produce the desired aspect ratio.
>
> The rationale for 4:3 default in the manual FAQ section is pretty thin these
> days, as people are not rendering Windows XP startup screens any more, and it
> seems FAR more likely that users will want a 1:1 PAR by default (which they can
> change if needed for special cases).
>
> I suggest for 4.0, that the default for camera Right be automatically set to the
> same ratio as the requested image output ratio, which means 16:9 resolutions
> will work "out of the box", and that users wanting an anamorphic ratio should
> instead tweak Right themselves (overriding the default).

you already can, and are "encouraged to do", adjust the global 'povray.ini' file
after installation; simply add the desired 'Width's and 'Height's ?

also, fwiw and afaik, I've not had any "non-square pixels and the output
appearing horizontally stretched" problems.  (rendering 16:9 and 16:10 regularly
on a machine with a 5:4 monitor)

regards, jr.