POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 : Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7
From: Droj
Date: 22 Jul 2023 00:05:00
Message: <web.64bb5403753f6154915286f3b2af915@news.povray.org>
"Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
>

> > But I'm not sure how the rules should work in 3D. Have you seen any such
> > images with accompanying 3D rules? If so, that would help me understand what is
> > needed.

Hi TOK,

Let's take the example of PB's Pythagoras tree. We can easily use a copy of it
and rotate it 90*y to get a tree with more branches.
But instead we can use your L-system directly and the following axiom/rules:
axiom:
AB
rules:
A = [F[+F<A][-F<A]]
B = [F[^F<B][&F<B]] // rotate
< // l/LengthScale
angle = 45 degrees
The confusing thing is: Lindenmayer's System is a righthanded system and ^ and &
mean pitch up/pitch down.
We are used to the lefthanded system and that means to me: roll left/roll right
in which case we have to use \ and /.

See image generated with L. Lapres Lparser and rendered with Povray.

Here's a link with lots of examples:
https://www.houdinikitchen.net/2019/12/21/how-to-create-l-systems/

Cheers, Droj

Post a reply to this message