POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 : Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:37:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7
From: Droj
Date: 21 Jul 2023 17:30:00
Message: <web.64baf7f4753f6154915286f3b2af915@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I don't know if this reprint (or new edition ?) "The Fractal Geometry of Nature"
> book by Mandelbrot contains any L-system images/rules:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Geometry-Nature-Benoit-Mandelbrot/dp/1648370403
>
> If so then I'll have to consider buying it.

I think the 'The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants'
(http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/abop/abop.pdf) is a more up-to-date version
of L-Systems.

> But I'm not sure how the rules should work in 3D. Have you seen any such
> images with accompanying 3D rules? If so, that would help me understand what is
> needed.

It's not too much. 2 symbols for pitch up/pitch down and 2 symbols for roll
left/roll right. And some 'placeholder' chars like A,B,...
See chapter 1.5 in the book I mentioned above.

There is also an axiom and rule for the famous Hilbert curve in 3D and a 3D
bush-like structure including images of both.

The only program that covers 3D L-Systems is Lparser by Laurens Lapre but it's
MS DOS only. But I will rummage through the .LS files to find things we can use.

Cheers, Droj