POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 : Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple L-system library for POV-Ray v3.7
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 19 Jul 2023 23:20:00
Message: <web.64b8a6ce753f6159a909f4889db30a9@news.povray.org>
"Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:

> > >   axiom = FX
> > >   X -> >[-FX]+FX
> > >   angle = 40
> > >
> > Yes, this was the one. I had to scratch my head more than once when I used it.
> > It couldn't be symmetric and an angle of 40 could not be right.
> > I usually trust PB a lot but I guess something went wrong during publishing...
> >

> Have to correct myself.
> It took some time to figure out how it works but it is symmetric and the angle
> is acceptable, too.
> But his rule means branches grow (>) with each iteration instead getting smaller
> (<).

Those rules can be a bit confusing.

If the scale number is greater than 1, then > will increase the line width and <
will decrease it. And if it is less than 1 the opposite will happen.

It seemed that P.B. had used the golden ratio for the branch width scaling:

phi = (1 + sqrt(5))/2 = 1.618033988749...

So to make the branch radii decrease by their "distance" from the stem when
using the > symbol, I used the reciprocal of phi, i.e. 1/phi = 0.61803398875...

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com