POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bronze Age sword - take 1 : Re: Bronze Age sword - take 1 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bronze Age sword - take 1
From: Samuel B
Date: 18 Jul 2023 17:25:00
Message: <web.64b7028db039fa5df8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 18-7-2023 om 00:40 schreef Samuel B.:
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> >>>
> >> I think those swords were not used for stabbing but chopping.
> >>
> >> Maybe this will interest you:

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-trade-blows-in-a-debate-over-whether-ancient-bronze-swords-were-just-for-s
how

> > Yeah, that is interesting. I wonder why there was any doubt, though. Why make
> > swords if you weren't going to use them? Were other, better alloys available
> > during the middle-to-late part of the Bronze Age? (My history knowledge is
> > somewhat lacking).
> >
> I think because there still is a lack of knowledge/understanding about
> Bronze Age society. There are no accounts or tales; swords are only
> known in a funeral rite context, so, what to infer? Obviously, those
> telltale marks on the blades had never been studied properly before
> (lack of funds and time most probably I guess). Except for variations in
> the proportions of the basic alloys locally/regionally or for different
> uses, the bronze seems to have been about identical throughout the
> period. However, I am no expert on the matter...
>
> --
> Thomas

Yeah, rigorous studies are always needed, especially when lacking historical
accounts. Based on my initial research, it seems like the swords were bent or
otherwise destroyed, possibly to 'kill' the weapon and return it to its owner,
or keep it or its metals from being used by others. Seems like a waste of
precious material, but then again we humans are often driven by various (maybe
illogical) ideals and weird beliefs ;)

Sam