POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tracking down slow renders : Re: Tracking down slow renders Server Time
2 May 2024 20:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracking down slow renders
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jun 2023 13:20:00
Message: <web.649dbc815485baa91f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

> I got access to a nice, big Linux box with 64 cores and tried rendering the
> scene again, using the smaller block sizes and reduced max_trace_level.  It
> chugged along pretty steadily for about 48 hours, and then with 128 pixels left
> (out of a 1920x1080 image), its been stuck for an additional 72 hours with no
> sign of progress.

I know that I've run into that sort of thing with heightfields with a reflective
finish.  That was some sort of "known" bug, that I have no idea ever got
investigated or fixed.

Perhaps you can try to reduce the reflectivity of the surface - Only the very
upper/outermost surface should need a reflective value.

You can also try to render _just_ those blocks with the appropriate command line
switches, so you don't have to wait 48 before testing that region of the render.

- BW