POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wood grain : Re: Wood grain Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:03:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood grain
From: ingo
Date: 29 Apr 2023 02:10:00
Message: <web.644cb49e6808bc7717bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Maybe this is an obvious trick to some of the veterans here, but I thought it
> was an interesting way to get good color maps for wood, so here it goes.

They look good.

A way to colorize wood is to use the same technique that is used in printing. A
wood is not printed in ymck but in spot colours on a coloured base. In general
only three ink colours are needed.

It starts with how the design is built. The first layer is just density
modulation without detail. The second layer give the general idea of the design
and the last layer gives the fine detail like the grain. All inks are lasure
inks, they are transparent.

The main colour of the design is defined by the base film colour. The first
layer is printed "tone in tone" and darker than the base colour, and has the
opposite "temperature". Cool gray vs warm gray. The next layer can be more
contrasting and the grain layer can be even more contrasting. For an oak you can
go very dark brown or even white for a white wash effect. The mixing of all the
colours, as they are transparent, gives a very rich and natural look.

To make a floor all that one needs to do to get some variation is to slightly
randomize the base colour per board.

ingo