POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : categorising objects : Re: categorising objects Server Time
2 May 2024 16:07:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: categorising objects
From: jr
Date: 14 Apr 2023 02:00:01
Message: <web.6438eb6feebe96f34301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

replying to the various categories suggested in reply to WFP,
but thanks, I knew there was more than just an orange stapler ;-).

re "Lakes of Wada" -- wow.

> It would be quite nice if we could find a way to make this a sort of
> collaborative document - perhaps some way to use OpenOffice.
> Then, people could sign up to handle specific items, and hyperlinks could be
> added to items already modeled, thus keeping everything together in one handy
> reference document as well as keeping it up-to-date without having a 500-page
> thread.

everything in one place and collaborative is appealing.  (personally have
no "office" s/ware other than Google Docs/Sheets/etc, which I never use)

> To whatever extent possible, it would make such things more usable (and
> therefore likely to be used more) if they were parameterized and coded for
> clarity rather than speed/performance.

> Have the object take its pigments/textures as arguments/variables, so that those
> are all easily modified as well.

> Objects that are designed to be placed ON something would likely best be modeled
> with the bottom center at the origin, and likewise, things that get hung by
> ropes, hooks, nails - would have the attachment point at the origin.

> It's often "easy" to model the usual CGI something-or-other, but the more
> sophisticated and sought after objects are the ones that have those added
> elements of imperfection to make them more realistic and less plastic and fake
> looking.

> Also, a certain degree of modularity would help the collection expand more
> rapidly.   It might be nice to make a screwdriver or chisel - but if you made a
> HANDLE, then it would be easy to match that up with a variety of screwdrivers,
> files, chisels, gouges, and other tools, especially if the handle is
> parameterized and the textures can easily be changed from wood to metal to
> plastic to carbon fiber....

> "Combinatorial modeling"

worth repeating, _very_ much agree.  modular, "inter-operating" objects
would be ideal.

thinking that, perhaps, "BE + CR" would make a fine combo to set out a list
of suggested criteria for (future) object collection submissions.  ;-)

regards, jr.