POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 : Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 Server Time
16 Jun 2024 20:46:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Mar 2023 22:50:00
Message: <web.6404110a9ce67fcf1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> Op 3-3-2023 om 12:25 schreef jr:
> > had not realised earlier that a scale-correct 1:1 representation is the goal.
> > but in light of that, I'd argue that while it's a WIP, the highest possible
> > resolution, then scale down for use.  (much like oversizing a render (gut
> > feeling))
> >
> Well, there is no specific goal afaiac, except if one wants to use
> Granite_21 in a 'natural' way, then it might be important. However, that
> is a choice and all options are free of course. ;-)
>
> ...and when we want to reproduce the object at its true size/aspect.

Well, there are different goals at different stages.

The first goal was to rapidly get a very nice looking render with the Granite_21
material to show off POV-Ray's textures and the potential for
near-photorealistic render quality.

The second is to poke around the mesh and examine whatever features may present
themselves, given that we have a very high quality mesh, and the tools to play
with normals, lighting, signal processing, trace (), and anything else you can
think of.

Here's a sort of uv-unwrapped render of the outer and inner surfaces, done with
trace (), 2 arrays, and 4 million triangles.  I still need to correct the
scaling and positioning of the lower color_map.  <eyroll>

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'vasesurface.png' (113 KB)

Preview of image 'vasesurface.png'