POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fuctions, My two cents : Re: Fuctions, My two cents Server Time
3 May 2024 04:35:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuctions, My two cents
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Mar 2023 16:25:00
Message: <web.63ffc255f28769a39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
> On 2/26/23 12:32, Kenneth wrote:
> > There is something about the REC 709 standard that has confused me for quite
> > awhile, in a general way. (I'm probably going off-topic here). AFAIU, it is a
> > standard for video capture and display, so I'm not sure that I understand
> > how it relates to color -> grayscale conversion within your povr branch (as
> > for height_field use.)
>
> Sure I'm not the one to answer your questions in any definitive way, but...

Your comments are actually quite helpful and informative, thanks!

I probably should have qualified my earlier statement about seeing different
animation results re: using 'plain' REC 709 vs. 709-R:
It seems to depend on which video app I use to play-back the finished video.
IIRC!

I have not done a definitive series of tests lately. Once I saw that 709-R
'looked' better and matched my POV-ray image render previews within POV-ray, I
stuck with it. This is yet another of those situations where I got side-tracked
from working on a scene, and didn't pursue the problem as far as I would have
liked to.

I could probably spend 23 1/2 hrs per day just doing detailed and pedantic tests
of one kind or another! (Lately, it seems that I am, ha.)
-----

BTW, I am *still* chasing-down that height_field 'mirror reversal' thing when
using functions. Just today, I discovered yet another little interesting
behavioral quirk. I will probably post it in the earlier/recent thread about
"functions to height_fields", as it seems more appropriate there.