POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 : Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Feb 2023 06:50:00
Message: <web.63fc985f9ce67fcf1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> I did my transformations (on the original converted OBJ files) in
> Poseray, centering and then rotating the vase, and dropping it to y=0,
> /before/ exporting to POV-Ray.

I didn't play a lot with Poseray once I got the file converted.
I wanted all the subsequent processing to be done in a way that's easily traced
(SDL) and preserved the raw data.  But the sweet textured renders of the
processed mesh are nice and really show the results possible with POV-Ray and
granite_21   :)

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/pre-dynastic-egyptian-vase-9d0564976fec4d718aca1d661cec212a

Did you do your transformations by eye/feel?
My -z rotation was based on some trace() results on the lug handles, followed by
some atan2 () hocus-pocus that I'm calling good-enough for now.

> In my studio set-up I used trace {} to put the vase on the 'pedestal'.
> The 'base' of the vase effectively is situated at y=0 in the geometry file.

The bounding box that Poseray assigns to the vase seems fine heightwise, but
overly wide, so getting it to sit at y=0 was fairly straightforward.
I'm wondering what Poseray and Meshlab, and even Matlab have for mesh-feature
analysis tools.

I'm guessing that Polyworks has all the pricey bells and whistles for
identifying such features and fitting planes, spheres and cones in a
least-squares best-fit fashion to a model.

Maybe I need to slice the vas at the lug handle hole and inspect the mesh at a
high magnification to see why I'm not getting good trace() results.