POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fuctions, My two cents : Re: Fuctions, My two cents Server Time
3 May 2024 05:44:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuctions, My two cents
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Feb 2023 13:45:00
Message: <web.63fa55dff28769a39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> :-) My head is always a buzzing mess. Anyone else noticed I'm of late
> often typing 'is' for most any two character word with a leading 'i'.
> :-( A small miracle anyone can make anything of what I write.

But that's half the fun of deciphering it! :-D  I use my "secret William P.
decoder ring" that came in a box of Cracker Jacks...

> Anyhow. Color images work as HF input. However, in newer versions of
> POV-Ray I'd recommend never using color inputs directly in a grey scale
> application. Too many ways for it to go astray of intent.
>
> For example, a color image with strong red, green or blue regions will
> create substantially different HFs when encoded as a 16 bit color png vs
> an 8 bit one.

Ooh, I didn't know that. I need to run (more) tests to see. I did notice an
'oddness' between 8-bits-per-channel vs 16, when running a POV-ray .png render
for HF use, but I didn't know what was causing it.