POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a function in a height_field declaration : Re: Using a function in a height_field declaration Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a function in a height_field declaration
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Feb 2023 19:35:00
Message: <web.63f9570d43a1dd889b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> Now, considering that there may be other differences when using pigments and
> image_maps, I'd again use a non-symmetric pattern or image.  I'd use something
> that can easily show a mirroring or rotation around any axis.

Yep, I concur.

> > GRADIENT X+Y does reverse, or so it seems.

I actually used gradient x + .3*y, for the very reason you mention. I also
pre-shifted the hexagon pattern a little.

Yet, it's still difficult to correctly assess the visual results, especially
with patterns like granite and bumps which are kind of 'noisy/randomized' to
begin with.

But I now have a bunch of render tests to compare against each other-- which I
am *triple*-checking this time, ha ;-)  And I have a few more experiments to
run, re: the z 'origin' of the patterns shifting to z=1; I'm hoping that those
results will prove fruitful and perhaps indicate what might be the ONE(?) simple
underlying problem...