POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Abstract landscape rendering 3 : Re: Abstract landscape rendering 3 Server Time
14 May 2024 04:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Abstract landscape rendering 3
From: Mike Miller
Date: 23 Feb 2023 18:45:00
Message: <web.63f7f89db7a8ee2ca30d213ddabc9342@news.povray.org>

> >> Fish13.pov was I believe part of the Povray demo scene files at one
> >> point.
> >>
> > Still is one of the demo.
>
> Now this is weird.
>  - The image fish13.png exists in my user documents directory tree.
>  - The file fish13.pov exists in the root level /usr directory tree
>    under povray-3.7.  (This is a Unix equivalent of the Program Files
>    directory)
>  - Both files are indexed in allscene/index.html in my user documents
>    directory tree.
>  - But the file fish13.pov is nowhere in my POV-Ray installation staging
>    directory, nor in my user documents directory tree, nor in the zip
>    file.
>
> How did this scene get installed and rendered when it isn't in the 3.7
> download?
>
> The only thing I could figure is that it got installed while POV-Ray 3.7
> was still in beta testing, but was deleted before the final release.  My
> fish13.pov is date stamped 2013-Feb-24, which was near the end of the
> release candidate phase.  (My fish13.png is date stamped 2015-Jan-03,
> nearly 2 years later, but the render script searches the /usr/local
> directory.)  Mike's ionic5 scene is also missing from the download.
> Perhaps the dev team dropped it because they couldn't find Mike for
> re-licensing?  Chris?
>
> I cannot find the train station scene anywhere, but I know I have seen
> it before.

I found fish13.pov in my archives and currently cleaning it up for yesbird. I'm
imbedding the CTDS (connect the dots smoothly) #declares and wrapping it as a
macro to become fish13.inc.

I should have the train station, ionic5, and most all of the stuff I posted in
the early 90's. Let me know if you what anything uploaded. Thanks :)

Depending on complexity of the scene file I may just write a conversion script
to handle the syntax changes for these old scenes. Particularly files that use
CTDS. Lots of non-comma delineated transforms and scales.

Attached is an image I found while searching archives. It was a
collaboration rendering celebration POV 1 year anniversary. I think Dan Farmer
did the cake? Chris Wells might have had a hand. I did the card, balloons and
bugs. ...lol.
 Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pov_birthday_card.jpg' (137 KB)

Preview of image 'pov_birthday_card.jpg'
pov_birthday_card.jpg