POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a function in a height_field declaration : Re: Using a function in a height_field declaration Server Time
15 May 2024 06:05:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a function in a height_field declaration
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Feb 2023 15:45:00
Message: <web.63ed429343a1dd889b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> After your explanations and a few suggested experiments this strange fenomena
> become to me clear, but believe, you will agree, that from the user's
> point of view the behaviour of this function is unexpected and leads to
> some confusion. I do not mean, that implementation is poor, but only that
> result are non-intuitive.
>
> ...at least now I know how to avoid these pitfalls.
> The world is not what it seams ...

Sad but true!

BTW:
A height_field can actually be 'solidified' to look like a regular object, by
making an intersection{...} of it with another slightly smaller object. This
might help to better-visualize its behavior. (The empty space 'under' a
floating HF can be considered part of it-- down to -y infinity.) Try this:

intersection{
box{0.01, 0.99  pigment{green 0.8}}
// OR...
// sphere{0,0.5 translate <0.50,.25,0.5> pigment{green 0.8}}
height_field{
function 500,500 {...your function...}
smooth
pigment{red 0.8}
scale <1,0.5,1>
}
scale 1.0 // final scale of everything
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'function_hf_with_intersection.jpg' (94 KB)

Preview of image 'function_hf_with_intersection.jpg'
function_hf_with_intersection.jpg