POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Lab: plans and discussions : Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions Server Time
18 May 2024 00:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Feb 2023 09:40:00
Message: <web.63e8f9761a3112301f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for very professional and detailed explanation, now I will sleep
> well at night :)

It's always the simple things that will truly drive you crazy.

Especially when there are no in-scene commands to fix them.

A few observations:

You have a "right" directive twice in your camera block.
You may want to read about the camera and the way it works since there are some
commands that will alter previous camera commands, so there is --- I'll call it
a preferred order of operations.  clipka and Le Forgeron have discussed this in
a few NewsGroup posts.

http://news.povray.org/53ff509f%241%40news.povray.org

Also, in case you need it:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C5d95e6c3%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

I'd also try to establish some sort of standard indentation for things like
loops and textures and such - it will save a lot of time in debugging things
when you leave out a closing ) or }.   The POV-Ray parser will try to lump
everything after the missing symbol into the opening declaration, and the error
messages might be sending you on a wild goose chase.

I also tend to label my closing brackets so I know which #while #for #case #if
#macro I'm ending, or where in the tangle of texture, pigment, color_map,
pigment_map, finish, normal, function, texture_map, etc I'm at.

texture {
     pigment {
          color_map {
          } // end color_map
     } // end pigment
} // end texture

I'll even number them if I have a ton of nested flow control directives, so I
can keep them all straight.

With regard to the color_map, I'll say that this is just another example of
making the hard-coded data in your scene difficult to nearly impossible to
manipulate.   You might consider storing all of that data in an array, and then
building the color map from that.   Then you can mathematically manipulate the
index values any way you want.   It's also very useful in case you want to embed
"lines" into a map - in order to make grids, or bracket a region of something,
or fix an uneven-looking map that doesn't get interpolated the way that you want
visually.

That's also a LOT of color_map entries.   You might consider experimenting with
the interpolation between the first entry and the last, just assigning them 0
and 1 and see what happens.   There are also new blending modes in 3.8.

Lots of stuff.   Too much to take in all at once.  :)

- BW