POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh rendering artifacts : Re: Mesh rendering artifacts Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:08:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh rendering artifacts
From: yesbird
Date: 30 Jan 2023 12:25:00
Message: <web.63d7fc76249f0076988cc0cb10800fb2@news.povray.org>
> What is your XY grid resolution for that mesh ?

50x50:
    t = linspace (-8, 8, 50);
    [x, y] = meshgrid (t, t);
    r = sqrt (x .^ 2 + y .^ 2) + eps;
    z = 18 * sin (r) ./ r;
    s = surf(x,y,z, FaceColor = 'interp', EdgeColor = 'interp');

> How are you calculating the vertex normals and the vertex colors ?

Matlab do it for me)

> - And have you been careful to have the same clockwise or anticlockwise
> order of the vertices in all the triangles?
I will check it, thanks.

> If the problem persists after making sure that everything else is ok,
> you can try to divide each quadrilateral into two triangles along it's
> shortest diagonal. Alternatively you can divide it into two triangles
> according to which of the two ways of doing it deviates less from the
> surface (e.g. at the center of the quadrilateral).

May be it will help, but for this method I would like to stay sticked to
Matlab's generated geometry. Little bit late I will implement method that
completely replace 'surf' with POV-only techiques. I am sure, that it will work
much faster, et least.

Present implementation was only the first experiment, which helps me to start
working with POV and explore Matlab's geometry structures.