POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh rendering artifacts : Re: Mesh rendering artifacts Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh rendering artifacts
From: yesbird
Date: 30 Jan 2023 10:30:00
Message: <web.63d7e18f249f0076988cc0cb10800fb2@news.povray.org>
Tor, Bill,

Thanks for your attention to this problem.

> I'm not sure how the data is generated from MatLab in order to be exported to
> triangles for POV-Ray, but I'm thinking that it might be better to export the
> geometry for the mesh separately, and then run a macro in POV-Ray to calculate
> the normals and color interpolation - or use the gradient y pigment.

Probably a good idea, now all data: geometry, normals and colors is fetched
directly from structure returned by surface method without any modifications.

I will play with vertex order as Tor suggested, but please take into account
that effect is mostly visible on high elevation (along the vertical axis).

Playing with surface parameters:
s = surf(x,y,z, FaceColor = 'interp', EdgeColor = 'interp');
gives nothing, also increasing mesh density eliminates this effect, as was
expected.
> Purely as a sorting macro exercise for myself, which might prove useful to
> someone else int he future.
No doubt )