POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender : Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:39:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender
From: Samuel B
Date: 16 Jan 2023 10:15:00
Message: <web.63c5694513ac3328f8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > On the left is a noisy image produced with POV-Ray, and on the right is the same
> > image, but denoised in Blender. It was super easy to set up.
> > (...)
>
> Look like a simple blur operation using a 3x3 block size.

Hi Alain,

I don't think it's that simple... Here's an article about it:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-employs-ml-to-create-graphics.html#gs.mshzmp

I haven't read through the whole thing, but they used machine learning somehow.
My guess is that they fed a neural network image pairs: one completely converged
(noise-free) image, and the same scene, but really noisy. The system eventually
learned that when the noise looks a certain way, it's meant to turn out a
certain way.

Sam