POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2D function to 3D tube : Re: 2D function to 3D tube Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:44:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D function to 3D tube
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Dec 2022 07:05:00
Message: <web.63a98d62560d61681f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I ran all these through the SimpleMesh macro. See the attached image for
> the results. I can post the complete source for that if you're interested.

Yes, that would be interesting to look over.
I'll post my own code here, and maybe you can spot why it's not working with
just a simple Phi calculation.

> I can not understand why that should be necessary. - But it could be that
> it's me that's missing something...

I can only imagine I have some minor error somewhere that gets magnified
later....

All I'm doing is storing the vertices of the tilted circle in a 2D array, and
then moving along the curve and storing those circles.  Then I travel around the
stored points in the circle array and make quads with 2 triangles.  Standard
stuff.   Looks great in the positive quadrant/octant and in the smooth parts of
the negative. So it's odd that it's not working well at specific points, and my
graph of the Phi values was so discontinuous.

Bear in mind that I've only done this for the implicit functions, not 3d the
parametrics.  But I should get this sorted out and see what the problem is
before I go any further.

Thanks as always for your clear mind, sharp eyes, and _lightning fast_ code
generation!

- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: