POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Don't neglect your chrome sphere! : Re: Don't neglect your chrome sphere! Server Time
23 Apr 2024 02:47:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't neglect your chrome sphere!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Dec 2022 10:30:00
Message: <web.63a082626db9fd80b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
> On 2022-12-18 10:52 (-4), Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > I might have tried to make the
> > rust texture more finely grained, and disconnected from the patch shapes.
>
> I'd love to do that, but I haven't yet worked out how to warp a texture
> map without having the constituent textures warped as well.

You could declare the chrome/buckled/rust pattern up front, then apply the
texture map at point of use. That way the warp gets applied before the map. Like
this:

#declare RustFn = function
{ pigment
  { bozo
    color_map { [0 rgb 0] [1 rgb 1] }
    turbulence 0.7
    scale 0.2
  }
}

#declare t_Rusted_chrome = texture
{ function { RustFn(x, y, z).x }
  texture_map
  { [0.43 t_Chrome]
    [0.53 t_Buckled_chrome]
    [0.53 t_Rust scale 0.1]
  }
}

(That last scale 0.1 on the rust was me trying to make it more fine-grained. Not
sure if it's any better offhand)

Bill