POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results : Re: "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Dec 2022 13:40:00
Message: <web.639b6923c22c158f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Lars Rohwedder <rok### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> I'd expected that the areas "far outside" of the Mandelbrot set (outside
> of the red cylinder) would have "low" values, so they are far "outside"
> of the isosurface. But they aren't, so the result is that the whole
> contained_by box is filled.
>
> Is it a bug how mandel pattern & isosurface work together or is the bug
> in my scene file? :-/
>
> Lars R.

It looks like the pattern drops off to zero.

Maybe try adding "open" to your isosurface statement.

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Isosurface

"When the isosurface is not fully contained within the contained_by object,
there will be a cross section. When this happens, you will see the surface of
the container. Using the open keyword, these cross section surfaces are removed,
and the inside of the isosurface becomes visible.

Note: Using open slows down the render speed, and it is not recommended for use
with CSG operations."

Might have to add "all_intersections" as well, if things still don't look good.
(just guessing)

Here's the pattern with 1000 iterations on an xy plane.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mandeltest.png' (29 KB)

Preview of image 'mandeltest.png'