POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible to alter finishes with texture patterns? : Re: Possible to alter finishes with texture patterns? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible to alter finishes with texture patterns?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Feb 2022 13:45:00
Message: <web.62016849e7ec5a3c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"tutki" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Currently I have a layered texture that uses the `checker` pattern in the top
> layer to alternate between a flat metal color and patches of `cells` patterns
> (basically using a transparent color in the checker layer where the cells show
> through). I want the metal part to have a metallic finish with specular
> component, but the cells part non-metallic. But I can't figure out how to make
> the metallic finish apply only to the metallic part of the checker pattern;
> adding the finish block makes the entire texture metallic, which is not
> intended.
>
> How do I make it so that the metallic finish only applies to half of the checker
> pattern?

You have to define your checker pattern as a texture, and then provide a
_texture list_ that has all of the specifically defined texture/finish entries.

Usual:
pigment{ checker // 2 colors/textures
         color White
         color Black }

What you want:
texture {
     checker
     texture_1
     texture_2
}

Try it with a simple sample scene and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/tex/tex_830e.htm

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/tex/tex_890e.htm