POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
21 May 2024 13:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: jr
Date: 26 Jan 2022 11:30:00
Message: <web.61f175e9c1365d06ea8869266cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 1/25/22 08:39, William F Pokorny wrote:
> > I'll look at your idea today and see if I can make something work for povr.
>
> OK.
>
> I spent some time looking at testing whether some keyword is defined.
> It's a tangle.

how .. unexpected..  :-)

> The only thing I've come up with, which I think might work, would be for
> povr to re-use a function its currently eliminated in 'f_odd()'.
> My thinking is that povr - or any other non-official and substantially
> different - version of POV-Ray could return some unique double value
> given a particular set of inputs. We'd use maybe certain sets of inputs
> for various derivatives. The current inbuilt function would return what
> it returns. The povr branch or others would be hard coded to return some
> other value which would mean something like: This the povr branch and
> the version is, and it's Monday, or...
>
> Would using f_odd() in this way be useful or not? It's all I've got for
> options at the moment.

unsure.  a function return to test against would not be very different from
comparing string ids, and it sounds like it would work.  otoh, it feels like,
um, a crutch.  (sorry)  perhaps an effort ought to be made to get clipka
involved, to see how/when the parser gets taken forward from here.

regards, jr.